The Reel | Teen Ink

The Reel

By Christianmaciver BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
Christianmaciver BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire

Everyone has that one album or song that they need when they’re sad, need when they’re happy, or need when they’re mad. The album that I need is 94.3 The Reel by Kid Quill

It’s like going through a mood swing, one moment I’m sad, then I’m happy because my favorite song in the album comes on. I sing my heart away until the song ends, then hum the song’s beat because it’s stuck in my head now.

Everyone has their own type of music, but when you listen to this album you will understand. Each song has a message, each one makes you feel something, each one makes you have at least a little bit of hope. The best song in this album is called “Happier”. “I want you to be happier, but know that means I'll have to leave.” Sometimes you love someone so much, that it gets to the point where their happiness becomes everything. It gets to the point that if you know they would be happier without you, you leave, like the lyrics “ I'll go, I will go, go, go...” They don’t ask you to, no one does, but you do. You do because you know they will be happier. The repetition in the song itself has meaning. “I want you to be happier, I want you to be happier.” It says that six times over and over, like that’s the only thing left to think about in the world.

Everyone repeats things to themselves when it is hard to do something. It is one of the hardest things to do, to leave someone or make someone leave because you know they are better off without you. If you have had to do this then you know, and if you haven't then I think you can imagine it. Happier is only one of the 17 amazing songs in this album.

Nighttime. Nighttime was the time I dreaded most of all. The yelling, screaming, hollering. It takes a toll on someone when that's all they’ve heard in their life. “She’s a psycho” is what I would listen to to drown it all out, the entire world. My entire world was my family, but then my world ended with a big boom. He had left, the father figure that loved me like I was his own because I didn't know mine was gone. He didn't leave because he didn't love us, he left because he knew my mother would be happier without him. She didn't have anyone to blame for her mistakes anymore so it turned to me, it was all my fault. I knew it wasn’t, but to her it was. A ten year old boy’s fault that she couldn't pay the bills because she drank it away. My childhood made me want to “go, go, go...” This album got me through my life and made me who I am. It molded me like parents mold their children.

Everyone feels pain, grief, happiness, doubt, sadness, and joy. Sometimes all I need is this album on my bad days. It makes you think, and when I think I always come back to one conclusion. Life is always worth living, no matter how sucky or long a day is it was worth it. I'm not a big singer, but I sing my head off to every song. I know every lyric of every song and can try to hit every note, but I at least know where they are. The normal person and I are not that different, everyone feels the same emotions. We all deal with our emotions differently, but I know at least one of the songs in 94.3 The Reel will spark something in you, just like it did me.