No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom - Retrospective | Teen Ink

No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom - Retrospective

By leo-s64 GOLD, Seattle, Washington
leo-s64 GOLD, Seattle, Washington

You take your car to work, I'll take my board. And when you're out of fuel, I'm still afloat - Rivers Cuomo

Tragic Kingdom was a massive record. The immense success of the album helped propel ska into the mainstream and paved the way for Orange County bands like Reel Big Fish and Save Ferris to make a splash in the music world. Even if Tragic Kingdom is hardly a full-on ska-punk album, the 90’s Orange County ska energy is still present, and the influence is clear.

At the time of Tragic Kingdom’s release, No Doubt was a relatively unknown band that was nevertheless thriving in the Orange County ska scene. Their previous album, The Beacon Street Collection was a local success, and this was enough to get the attention of major record label, Interscope, who would fund Tragic Kingdom.

Tragic Kingdom came at a time that No Doubt somewhat reinvented themselves. On their previous two albums, most songs were written by Eric Stefani, brother of Gwen Stefani, and had more of a ska-punk feel to them. Following his departure from the band, Gwen Stefani began writing her own material with a more poppy sound and this is what is featured on Tragic Kingdom. Listening to this album today, it definitely holds up with some killer tracks performed in No Doubt’s unique blend of musical styles.

One of the first singles to come from Tragic Kingdom was the ska-influenced “Spiderwebs.” This song opens the album and immediately gives the listener a taste of the No Doubt sound that is to come. On this multifaceted song, there is a ska intro, a new-wave inspired verse, and a punky chorus. Those three genres define No Doubt’s musical style on Tragic Kingdom. This makes for unique, energetic songs.

No Doubt, and specifically frontwoman Gwen Stefani, possessed a unique energy that helped ensure the band’s success. The energy displayed in the music is infectious and exciting and this is further exemplified in the band’s music videos and live performances. Stefani really gets into the music and the listener can’t help but have a great time.

The unique No Doubt energy is most prevalent on the album’s lead single, “Just A Girl.” The funky guitar/keyboard intro sets the tone immediately and Stefani’s uniquely ironic vocal style fits the subject matter perfectly. The song was a massive success that helped drive sales of Tragic Kingdom. The accompanying music video helps establish Gwen Stefani as a 90’s icon, showcasing her and the band’s frantic punk-inspired energy.

Judging by Spotify listens, “Don’t Speak” is No Doubt’s most popular song. This is very interesting, as it is definitely an outlier on Tragic Kingdom. “Don’t Speak” is a slow ballad that is very different from the frantic ska energy found on most other songs. While listening to Tragic Kingdom in full, “Don’t Speak” actually offers a nice little break from the constant energy found on the rest of the album. “Don’t Speak” immediately follows “Sunday Morning,” one of the most upbeat and exciting songs on the album. “Don’t Speak” is a unique song for No Doubt, but it works. It’s still catchy but the lyrics just carry a little bit more weight when delivered in this more serious tone.

Tragic Kingdom was a hugely impactful album in the 1990’s music scene. Singles like “Sunday Morning” and “Spiderwebs” helped catapult ska music back into the mainstream, while hit songs like “Just A Girl” and “Don’t Speak” helped establish No Doubt as an iconic band to come out of Orange County, California. Tragic Kingdom is a very important and wonderful album featuring No Doubt’s unique sound and palpable energy.