Lord of the Rings | Teen Ink

Lord of the Rings

March 2, 2016
By hgs27 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
hgs27 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Ever since I was little, my Dad had two stuffed pheasants in our basement. We couldn’t touch them or even go near them. One day he told me I could name them. It sounds ridiculous naming something that’s stuffed and dead, but to me at that age it was the best thing in the world. I decided to name them Frodo and Sam, after two characters from my favorite movie series Lord of the Rings. These movies are full of excitement, mythical things, and I like that because it leaves the problems of this world behind. In this trilogy, the three movies are The Fellowship, The Two Towers, and Return of the King.


In The Fellowship, ordinary people are used to do something that would be almost impossible. Not only are they unexpected people, they average 3 foot 6 inches tall. The task they must accomplish involves a ring of power. The ring needs to be destroyed so that the enemies of Middle Earth can be defeated. Enemies are the Orcs, Sauron, and the Nazgul. The Nazgul were once great kings of men who became shrouded by greed and are now riders in black but their biggest enemy is Sauron. He is the maker of the ring who is in the form of a giant fiery eye that sees all. Frodo, Sam, Mary, and Pippin meet a man named Aragorn who takes them to Rivendell. There, a meeting is held on what to do with the ring. Nine companions become the fellowship. They’ve agreed to carry the ring into Mordor and destroy it. My favorite part is when none of them are expected to come back alive and Pippin says, “Great, where are we going?” Of the trilogy, this movie is my favorite. It shows chance and though it may not be realistic, it shows that hope and hard work is needed if I want to accomplish something


Though The Fellowship ends on a happy note, The Two Towers are a bit more serious. War strikes across the land and this movie shows Frodo and Sam's trek to Mordor. The fellowship has been separated. Mary and Pippin are taken by Orcs, giving Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn a mission to save them. Boromir is dead and Frodo and Sam are headed to Mount Doom. I like that everyone is in different places because the movie is able to show their world from a lot of different perspectives. Mary and Pippin are able to escape the Orcs but they find themselves in a giant forest. The trees here are magical and come alive. They meet Treebeard and try to convince him and others of his kind to go to battle, but none of them agree. Pippin tells Treebeard to take them past Isengard. When Treebeard sees what his master has done to the forest he gets very angry. He and the other trees attack Isengard and destroy it. As this happens, Frodo and Sam are able to find Gollum who they use as a guide to Mordor. He is a creature who was driven mad by the ring. This movie is my least favorite because war dominates everything. I would rather see my favorite characters prosper than go through misery and suffering.


In Return of the King, Aragorn finally realises that he has to take up his throne and become king so that Frodo and Sam can make it through Mordor. If he doesn’t do this then everyone will have to suffer. Aragorn isn’t the typical king because he doesn’t want power. Knowing that makes me think he would be a great leader and I love that about him. Aragorn makes the decision as king to go to the doors of Mordor and make a distraction. Frodo and Sam are on the other side trying to reach the volcano. It is extremely difficult because there are thousands of Orcs in their way. The distraction will be Aragorn’s army in front of Mordor, and it works. All of the Orcs pile out of Mordor and the eye is fixed on the battle that is about to happen, leaving Frodo and Sam’s path clear. They are able to throw the ring into the volcano causing Sauron to explode and leaving all of their enemies defeated. One of the last scenes is of Aragorn and the four hobbits Frodo, Sam, Mary, and Pippin. Aragorn is officially announced king and the hobbits bow down to him but he quickly tells them to stand up.  My favorite line of the trilogy is when Aragorn says, “ My friends, you bow to no one.” then Aragorn bows down to the hobbits and everyone else follows suit of their king. Watching this movie always makes me leave the problems of this world behind. I’m always able to just enjoy the movie and not worry about anything and that is one of the main reasons why I find this movie better than most.
In Lord of the Rings, four tiny hobbits who were thought of as lowly people, did what everyone else was afraid to do. Unexpectedly, almost everyone returned alive. Everyone was a lot closer to death from The Fellowship, to The Two Towers, and Return of the King. Yet the four hobbits survived. I like that because it shows that odds can be slim, but that doesn’t mean something is impossible. The movies may not be realistic and there are some mistakes like Sauron not turning invisible while wearing the ring. Bilbo aged very rapidly when apart from the ring, yet Gollum didn’t age at all, but they’re still my favorite. Lowly and ordinary people are the same as people with high status and Kings. People should think of things more as possible, not impossible. I think the reason we do this a lot is because everyone is constantly telling us we can’t do things because we’re not strong enough or because they look down on us. If someone is saying no to us and that something is impossible, then we need to stick up for ourselves and not bow down to them because as Aragorn says, “You bow to no one.”