The Maze Runner | Teen Ink

The Maze Runner

Imagine, waking up in a small dark box that you realize is moving up. All you see are boxes surrounding you and suddenly it stops. A burst of white light comes shining into the little dark box that blinds you for a few short seconds. You get your vision back and notice dozens of kids staring back at you. This is how Thomas, the main character, felt the first day he came upon the Glade. The Maze Runner is an action-packed movie with surprises around every corner.

The movie is based on the science-fiction book The Maze Runner, which is the first book in The Maze Runner Series by James Dashner. When the movie starts, Thomas, played by Dylan O’Brien, is in the Box which brings up supplies and a new Greenie once a month. Greenie is what the Gladers call the new people in the Maze. The thing about the Glade is that it’s surrounded by a maze. Gigantic walls that are about thirty feet tall and the maze itself is almost impossible to get out of. But that’s not even the worst part for the Gladers. Every night when the maze walls close, man-eating, spider like monsters, called Grievers, go scavenging around the maze. The Gladers realize that the maze must be their way out of the Glade, so they assign people to become Runners.
Everyday from when the walls first open to when the sun sets, the Runners dash through the maze and try to figure their way out. Since the maze walls move every night, it is hard for the Gladers to find their way out until they find something could get through the maze and back to where they came from.

Even though the movie is a great representation of the book, there are somethings that I wish were a little more distinct. The friendships between Thomas and Chuck, and Thomas and Teresa are the things that I dislike the most. In the book, I felt a lot more connection between them in the rather than in the movie.

From the book to the movie, I thought it was an overall great success. The Maze Runner was at the top of the charts with $32.5 million in the first weekend. Some books that get turned into movies don’t have the greatest outcome;however, when it comes to The Maze Runner, it is a fantastic portrayal of the book. From waking up in the Glade one day to being one of the greatest runners there was in the Glade, Thomas has done it all. The Maze Runner is an action-packed, adventurous, spine-chilling movie that everybody should watch.