The Maze Runner | Teen Ink

The Maze Runner

By Andrew H BRONZE, Mars, Pennsylvania
Andrew H BRONZE, Mars, Pennsylvania

A boy named Thomas remembers nothing but his name and he is carried up in a monstrous, loud and rusty freight elevator. He sees the doors open and the glistening sun blinds his eyes, and dozens of other boys gather around. Thomas stands and sees an open area of colossal concrete walls, which enclosed a dense subtropical biome. Later he is advised that the “Gladers” have been trapped for years in the Maze.

The movie’s opening scene cops your attention rather quickly, by showing an interesting and puzzling event. You can easily see that this was a movie in which the producers and directors put time and money into. The beautiful set is absolutely stunning, it shows every detail like small cracks and vines in the wall.  The “Grievers” are giant robotic spider-like bugs that crawl throughout the maze. You can see that each part  was constructed with precision and lots of times spent making these as beautiful as possible.

Acting is a key factor in producing a successful movie. However, this is were ‘The Maze Runner’ has its troubles. Dylan O’Brian, Will Poulter and Kaya Scodelario were fantastic and fit the role perfectly. But, smaller characters such as Minho and Alby (played by Ki Hong Lee and Aml Ameen) did not put in enough effort into the role and they do not use their abilities to fully capture the potential of the character. They also did not use much emotion and their acting looked like a small budget film cast.

Overall ‘The Maze Runner’ gets a solid 8 out of 10 from me. The extraordinary detail and effort put into this movie gives it potential to have a successful sequel and win many awards. Contrary to that the low quality acting makes the movie a bit cheesy, however it can still be considered one of the best movies of 2014.