Twilight | Teen Ink

Twilight

December 24, 2008
By Anonymous

On November 21st, 2008, teen girls all across America flocked to theaters to witness their latest literary obsession be brought to life. For the past year, the Twilight Saga, written by Stephenie Meyer, has been the most talked about thing among the 12-15 set, even capturing the hearts of the girl's mothers. The books have constantly been praised, and while I never understood why the books were so popular, I decided to check out the movie that everyone was going on about, with low expectations. After seeing the film for a second time, I still am not impressed.

The film takes place in the small town of Forks, Washington, where rain constantly falls over it's inhabitants' heads. 17 year-old Bella Swan (Kristen Stewert) is the newest arrival to the tiny place, having decided to live with her father for awhile, and is immediately interested in the Cullen family (More specifically, the mysterious, pale-faced junior Edward). After a particularly rocky start between the two, Edward (Robert Pattinson) and Bella soon find that they are very drawn to one another, and although it is dangerous for the two to be together, as Edward is not exactly as human as the rest of Bella's classmates, they embark on a relationship that neither of them could ever forget.

While the plot sounds exciting, the movie is your average teen romance, filled with cheesy dialogue and awkward special effects. Kristen Stewert lacked the acting abilities to pull off the character of Bella, seeming utterly confused through most of the movie. Robert Pattinson did his best to portray the conflicted Edward, but simply missed the mark. This can, sadly, be said for most of the cast, while only a few of the film's stars live up to their potential. Taylor Lautner, who played the small, yet important role of Jacob Black, did wonderful, as did Billy Burke at portraying Bella's father, Charlie Swan.

While it is nice to see teenagers get so inspired by a book series, the Twilight movie was nothing but average.


The author's comments:
I know I will most likely take some heat for my negative review of Twilight, but if this makes anyone feel better, I enjoyed The Host by Stephenie Meyer.