Dr. Zhivago | Teen Ink

Dr. Zhivago MAG

By Anonymous

     “Dr. Zhivago” is the 1965 epic love story set during the Russian Revolution. Yuri Zhivago (Omar Sharif) is a poet and doctor; Lara Antipova (Julie Christie) is a mysterious beauty. The two keep meeting at the wrong time in the wrong situation and develop a relationship even though they are married to others. This prompts the question: if they had met earlier, would they have had a life together?

Every character is intricately woven into the plot, creating dramatic twists. During the movie you follow the ups and downs of Zhivago. The opening scene is told by his brother, who, many years after Zhivago’s death, is searching for his missing child; with this hint, the movie flashes back and the whole story is told leading up to the present.

The costumes and setting are completely authentic, bringing to life Russian architecture and culture. The harsh winter setting helps to intensify the depressing feelings of the characters. Another common effect used to portray the characters’ emotions is the excellent score that provides a common thread throughout the movie and escalates the intense feelings between the characters.

“Dr. Zhivago” is a heartbreaking tearjerker with blunt images of what life was like during the Russian Revolution with raw emotions between Yuri Zhivago and Lara. It is an essential movie to watch for the true movie fan, who will be able to appreciate every moment.