Waiting for Guffman | Teen Ink

Waiting for Guffman MAG

“Waiting for Guffman” is another creative piece that proves Christopher Guest’s brilliant artistic talent. In the middle of his line-up of hilarious independent “mockumentaries,” this movie is a personal favorite.

The film follows the journey of several lucky townspeople of Blaine, Missouri as they work passionately to bring an original musical, “Red, White, and Blaine” to the stage for the small town’s sesquicentennial celebration. Not only does Guest direct and produce but he leads the storyline as Blaine’s flamboyant and notable director, Corky St. Clair.

Guest’s quirky small-town characters are portrayed by his usual cast of multi-talented indie film followers including Eugene Levy (co-writer), Fred Willard, Catherine O’Hara, Parker Posey, and Michael Hitchcock. Not only are the acting and comedic turns fabulously entertaining, but the fact that most of the film is improvised leaves me extremely impressed and fascinated.

When Corky and the performers learn that a Broadway producer is interested in seeing “Red, White, and Blaine,” the adrenaline begins pumping during Guest and Michael McKean’s originally written and composed show. As the town erupts with excitement and pride in anticipation of the curtain’s rise, the cast members find themselves eagerly waiting for Guffman.