'127 Hours' Review | Teen Ink

'127 Hours' Review

By Chloejournal DIAMOND, Devon, Other
Chloejournal DIAMOND, Devon, Other

If you’ve been looking for a white knuckle, nail biting, teeth gritting thrill ride, look no further. Danny Boyle’s ‘127 Hours’ depicts the real life tale of Aron Ralston, portrayed by James Franco, and the tragic events that unfolded in 2003 during one of his canyoneering trips. The dynamic soundtrack enhances this adrenaline fuelled drama that will leave you reeling for (127) hours after the final credits have rolled. Boyle captures the sense of entrapment and claustrophobia experienced by Ralston, as we experience Ralston’s turmoil voyeuristically, which is achieved through the genius of Boyle and the stunning performance by Franco in this triumph. The film takes you on an memorable journey of raw emotional that is truly life affirming.
The stylistic opening of the film establishes the extraordinary class that will follow throughout this 89 minute example of brilliance. There are moments which will leave you hiding behind your hands with tension and others that will leave you drying your eyes. One thing that is certain is that the film will leave you speechless as you witness what can only be described as a work of art. This is not Boyle’s only masterpiece; his other achievements can be seen in the form of ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ (2008) and ‘Trainspotting’ (1996) each of which have been tremendously successful. My expectations of ‘127 Hours’ were truly blown out of the water as I expected a mediocre pseudo-documentary style film. I was wrong. There is a strong sense of quality that runs throughout each and every shot within the film which highlights the drama and poignancy. The film is bursting at the seams with emotional drama and tension which is stunningly presented through Franco’s execution of this highly complex role. It is unsurprising to see that he was consequently was nominated for an award for his performance.
This film is utterly unbelievable and undoubtedly unforgettable. The casting is true excellence and the conclusion of the film is the epitome of perfection with a side of filmmaking finesse. It is a film to fall in love with that is highly evocative, heart-warming and moving. Even to the harshest critics this film is ultimately faultless from the shooting style to the casting and dialogue.
As Aron (Franco) said himself “This is insane”

I fell in love with this film. What a masterpiece.