Superhero movie | Teen Ink

Superhero movie

By Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia
Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia

"Why so serious?" -Heath Ledger as The Joker

"BOOST!" -Welsh Dragon Armor; High School DxD

What to do? What to review? Have I reviewed a spoof movie yet? No, I haven't. Let's do a spoof movie. Epic movie? No. That's dog sh*t. Disaster movie? No, I'll review that another day. So what spoof am I reviewing? If you read the title, you have a pretty good idea. So, without further a due, let's review:
Superhero movie! This was a spoof movie made in 2008, under the direction of Craig Mazin. He was also known for co-writing the scripts for the Hangover movies. So, you could consider comedy his specialty. I wouldn't know since I haven't seen any of the Hangover movies, nor do I plan to see them any time soon. Superhero movie stars Drake Bell, who is known for his role as Drake in the once popular show Drake & Josh, and is currently voicing spider-man in the show Ultimate Spider-man. Check out my review for that in my list of reviews on my home page. The movie begins with a comedic twist of the opening from Spider-man, where someone is helping Rick get his costume on, and he even has trouble buckling his pants. Drake plays a nerdy student named Rick Riker, who is suppose to be a more comedic, and pathetic, Peter Parker since this movie spoofs the Spider-man films as well as other Superhero movies. Like Peter Parker, he lives with his aunt Lucille and uncle Albert (played by Leslie Nielson). Rick's best friend is Trey, played by Kevin Hart (before he got his stand-up comedy career). His crush is Jill Johnson (played by Sara Paxton), and I'd be lying if I didn't say she was kind of hot. During a school field trip, Rick gets bitten by a radioactive dragonfly. The villain of this movie is a man known as the Hourglass, played by Christopher McDonald, who like Norman Osborn, has a lab accident and it allows him to drain the life force out of others. The next day, Rick has a number of mishaps at school just as he discovers his powers. I have to admit, this movie had me laughing due to the utter stupidity of it. We see a parody of Peter first climbing, only Rick break-dances on the wall. I re-watched that scene five times and it made me laugh each time. Rick eventually reveals his secret to his uncle and Trey, which gets him into an argument with his uncle. Later at the bank, Albert gets shot by a thief, and gets taken to the hospital. Rick is met by Professor Xavier (played by Tracy Morgan), and we see a spoof of the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters. After more spoofs of movies like Spider-man, Batman Begins, and the Fantastic Four, we get to the final confrontation between the Dragonfly (Rick's Alter-ego) and the Hourglass. it takes place at (ironically enough) a superhero convention. Dragonfly stops the Hourglass's plan to become immortal, and of course gets the girl. And they all live happily ever after...until Dragonfly gets smacked on the windshield of a helicopter.
This movie...is pretty good. The comedy is predictable, but it still makes you laugh. The parodies are done surprisingly well. Not only that, but their making fun of celebrities like Stephen Hawking, Barry Bonds, and Tom Cruise are very funny, too. I can tell that the creators as well as the actors were having a blast with this. I'd say that it's a good time, and you can stay sober while watching it. A solid 3 out of 5. However, if you're not into superheroes, this movie may not be for you. Unless you like to see superhero scenarios being spoofed, you might just like it.
So what is your favorite spoof movie? Whatever it may be, comment below and let me know. And as always: if you liked this review and want to see more, then by all means check out my other reviews to see more. Ta-ta for now.

My first spoof movie review. Let's do this.