The Knight's Tale | Teen Ink

The Knight's Tale

The story “The Knight’s Tale” is an exciting tale of a two cousins fighting over a lovely women with aid of Greek gods for support. The film A Knight’s Tale is a movie about two men, who engage in a jousting tournament, and a women ends up in the middle of the two of them, making the tension between the two characters even worse. Since the movie is based on the story, one would assume that such movie would be related and closely follow the story, correct? Well, it doesn’t quite go that way. One could say the director of A Knight’s Tale deserves an F for his failure to capture the essence of the story.

In the story, the main characters names are Emily, Arcita, and Palamon. Most of the time when a movie is created from a tale the director’s keeps the same names so that one can closely follow and relate the movie to the book; But not in this situation. Another main point that could bother someone about the director’s interpretation, is how the two of the main characters fight at the end. Within the tale, the men are each given one hundred men for their army and help them fight for their side; while in the movie, they are fighting completely alone. This was a failure on the director’s part, because when more people are added to the battle, the audience is drawn in, receiving a taste of the ravaging bloody fight between men. When you cut people from the picture, one tends to lose interest in the situation that is happening. This director did a poor job of capturing the essence of “The Knight’s Tale.”

When one watches a movie based off of a story, people expect that they will see a close picture to what was imagined in their head when they were engaged in the story. In the situation of “The Knight’s Tale” verses A Knight’s Tale, this is not the case. The director of the movie poorly executes his view on the tale, making it a completely different plot line than the original story. His failure of capturing the vision of “The Knight’s Tale” ruined the image of the story. One could say that life could have been better if he never tried to show the rest of us what his view on the tale was. He failed.