Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows | Teen Ink

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

January 8, 2012
By EzequielP BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
EzequielP BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."-Gandhi


The all-seeing, adventurous detective is back, along with his trustworthy sidekick, Dr. Watson. With the help of a few new allies and tricks up their sleeves, the gang prepares for a menacing challenge up ahead. Ready for all of the new hijinks, soon to come, the tandem and their troupe train to face their arch nemesis, Professor James Moriarty.
Moriarty’s diabolical plan is to invent revolutionary weapons, and, through a series of complex plans and murders, attempts to turn the world against itself with the arsenal he’s created. It’s up to none other than the legendary detective to use his best tricks and tactics to save the day. Seemingly, a wild goose chase, Sherlock and Watson spare no expense in effort to track the Professor down. This chain of events contribute to a spectacular story, and a stunning climax.
Directed by Guy Ritchie, the same as the prequel to this cinematic feat, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows is a visual accomplishment any director would be glad to say he produced. Holmes is played by the same actor as he was in the last movie, Robert Downey Jr., who is known most for his role as Iron Man, and also a master of his craft and plays the role marvelously. Assisted by veteran actors like Jude Law (Watson), and Jared Harris (Prof. Moriarty), the movie’s trio of big name actors really help bring interest from the viewers. With beautifully timed scenes of suspense and action, the film is sure to keep you on the edge of your seat as it did to me. The slow motion scenes used here and there, complimented with a variety of characters with personas all their own will indulge you. The conflicts amongst the cautious Dr. Watson and the free-spirited Sherlock Holmes are relatable to almost all the audience. This is definitely a film worth seeing multiple times.
The diversity of feelings received from the film brings an array of emotions into play while viewing. I had a hard time settling on how I felt during the movie, really making me involve myself more with the plot and cast. The assortment of different scenes adds either a moment of suspense or relief to the spectators. The heart-tugging scene where Sherlock momentarily stops breathing contrasts sharply with the happiness that was radiated from Holmes and Watson at his birthday party. The cinematic beauty is complete with the eye-capturing British landscape that is often where the action takes place. Few points of dislike can be pointed out, as the movie was crafted superbly.