Precious | Teen Ink

Precious

By Rastaman0318 GOLD, Montclair, New Jersey
Rastaman0318 GOLD, Montclair, New Jersey

Growing old is inevitable, but growing up is optional :)

Score:3/4

Put your sulking caps on, America. Here comes the tearjerker of the year. Effectively mixing not only heartbreak and despair, but humor, hear and even a little self discovery in there for good measure, Precious is a gem in the scummy field of inspirational films of 2009. Director Lee Daniels and his cast of almost female-only members and the writers try every trick they know to pull at your heatstrings. Clariece "Precious" Jones, a suprising and heartbreaking debut from Gabourney Sidible, is a 16 year old, obese, HIV positive African American girl who can't read above a 2nd grade level, has two children by her father and regularly undergoes abuse from her "wronged" mother (Mo'Nique, chewing up the scenery and Precious' life).
As brutally honest and uplifting as the story is, this film isn't really about the story. In the end, it's all about the performances. No film I've seen this year has had such a well rounded ensemble. Not a bad apple in the bunch. Ms. Rain, played with soul and girl power by Paula Patton,
Lenny Kravitz's male nurse, and the students at the alternative school are only a few of the wonderful characters you'll meet as this wonderful little jewl knocks you down, just to offer you a bar of bittersweet chocolate. See it and witness the blossoming of a career.