New Moon | Teen Ink

New Moon

December 4, 2009
By Writer24 SILVER, Acton, Massachusetts
Writer24 SILVER, Acton, Massachusetts
5 articles 0 photos 41 comments

I looked forward to New Moon for a long time, since I was a fan of Twilight and after seeing the movie decided to read all four Twilight Saga books. After reading them, I couldn't wait for New Moon. But when I finally saw it, I was quite disappointed.

Along the way while reading the book, I would think to myself "This scene would be awesome in the movie", and a lot of times, the scenes I chose in my mind were actually taken out of the movie entirely which was a huge disappointment. Some of these scenes that I'm talking about included the scene in the book when Bella is on the plane talking to Alice. It was entirely cut out of the movie and they show you a plane to satisfy that it happened and move on.

Of all the things that they took out of the movie, it particularly annoyed me that the movie was still quite long, but instead of good scenes actually taken from the book, they embellished on action scenes from the book or made fight scenes where they weren't before. I thought they did this way too much, especially because I hate violence, and wasn’t really looking to see a violent movie when I went to New Moon. I thought the biggest example in the movie was when Bella goes to find out about Jacob’s “mono” and punches Paul. First of all, according to the book this isn’t accurate at all, because Bella would never be dumb enough to punch Paul because she knows he’s a werewolf before she goes there. Second of all, they used that as an excuse to have Paul and Jacob fight which does happen in the book but in the book is implied rather than in the movie I had to sit through the whole scene waiting for it to end. Another important scene that was entirely added to the movie was the scene with Charlie and Harry in the forest and Victoria shows up and attacks them. Another part of the book that was implied violence was the scene with Laurent and the werewolves and that was a whole long scene in the movie. Also, it wasn’t exactly violent, but they felt the need to put more action than was originally written, so they had Bella get on the motorcycle with the weird guy she saw in Port Angeles.

Some other scenes I feel were poorly chosen to be taken out and replaced with violence and fighting (which I understand that this was intended by the directors to keep boys interested in the movie, but still takes away from my enjoyment of the movie). Some of these were not even full scenes taken out, but parts they shortened that I didn't think should be. When Alice got to Bella’s house they shortened this scene tremendously and felt like I expected to hear Jacob hiss “Dr. Carlisle Cullen” when he tells Bella about the phone call, but that line never happens. They just skip and assume Jacob always knew it was Edward. In this scene, I felt the actor who plays Alice doesn’t quite seem like what I would’ve imagined in the book. When Bella meets Quil and Embry, Quil is not quite how I would expect. Also they shorten this scene and the whole scene involving bringing the motorcycles to Jake. I understand that if they had kept in every detail of the book as I’m like I’ve been talking about, the movie would have been hours too long, but I’m only trying to emphasize that the scenes authentically from the book and with more character development were the scenes I would’ve liked to have seen replacing all of the violence. In the book, there really wasn’t intended to be any explicit violence. If the movie had been like the book, and been shortened if necessary and they had kept in the best scenes with the characters and only had the minimal implied violence from the book it would have been a perfect movie.


The author's comments:
I saw New Moon and was extremely disappointed having read the book first so I decided to write this review.