Black Panther: The movie that brought light to African culture | Teen Ink

Black Panther: The movie that brought light to African culture

By imeame0808 BRONZE, Richfield, Minnesota
imeame0808 BRONZE, Richfield, Minnesota

At first, I didn't want to watch the movie because I didn't care for Marvel movies, but little did I know that it would end up being my favorite movie of all time. Being someone whose parents came from Africa and being around so much culture that has been hated on and made fun of for so long was hard. After watching “Black Panther, " I felt more proud of my culture and felt glad to say that I am African. The movie was just very well done, from the soundtrack with the popular people at the time like Sza and Kendrick Lamar and the culture being introduced from the beginning and the action.

At the beginning of the movie, African culture was introduced very quickly with T’Challa being crowned king and all the traditional dances and chants. Although some things were fiction most of it was based on African culture. The languages spoken in “ Wakanda” are Swahili and Xhosa, Swahili is a language across East Africa and is also a language spoken in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Xhosa is a language spoken in South Africa and Zimbabwe. African culture is also shown through clothing. In the movie, there are times when people wear African clothes and fabrics. Another example is the accessories worn such as necklaces and head coverings and some people with enlarged earlobes. 

Black Panther has made a lot of people proud of their heritage and helped some people see Africa in a different light. More people wanted to learn about African culture and that is when things like fufu and jollof rice became more popular, more people heard about afro beats and grew to love the artist and more people wanted to visit Africa and get their own experiences. This movie brought a lot of people together because of how entertaining it is. Now people are constantly saying “Wakanda forever” as said in the movie with their arms crossed on their chest.

Overall this movie is liked and talked about worldwide. This movie also displayed lots of African cultures and brought it to light since it is such a popular movie. Some may not like the movie but most can agree that it showed lots of African culture through clothing, music, and many other things.

My name is Imelda I am 14 years old and attend Richfield High School in Minnesota