Encanto | Teen Ink

Encanto MAG

By aubryconway SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
aubryconway SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

I’ve always wanted a magical house. I’ve dreamed of having the walls and floors move me about and bring me my shoes and socks, my dresser opening for me and picking out my wardrobe for the day, and my bed making itself when I wake up in the morning. So, when I saw the trailer for a movie about a magical house named Casita, I knew I would love it straight away. I’m happy to report that I was right. “Encanto” is an overall fantastic movie for people of all ages because of its strong and relatable characters, catchy music, and beautiful setting and culture.

The characters in “Encanto” are some of my favorites in the Disney franchise. Mirabel is the star of the movie, a strong-willed and hopeful character who makes it her mission to save the Casita when it starts crumbling. She never gives up on her home even when everyone else has. When the Casita starts to break and everyone else is evacuated because their gifts disappeared, Mirabel still climbs up and tries to save the candle that holds the house's magic. One of the stronger side characters is Bruno, the outcast uncle who sees the future. He is kind and compassionate, even when his family rejected him. When Mirabel went looking for him and became stuck on a piece of floorboard, Bruno saves her even after all they’ve been through. All of the other members of the Madrigal family have distinct personalities, even if they don’t get as much screen time. Camilo is mischievous and sarcastic, Isabela is ambitious and straight-laced, and Dolores is nosey and empathetic. Though, one thing that really helps build up characterization in “Encanto” is the music in it.

The music of “Encanto” is one of its strongest features. “The Family Madrigal” was the perfect opening song to this fantastical film. It showcases all the members of the Madrigal family and their gifts: Julieta, Bruno, and Pepa’s ability to heal with food, see the future, and control the weather with emotion. It also includes all of the cousins and their abilities. The song does all of this while skirting around the fact that Mirabel didn’t receive a gift. The next song, “Waiting on a Miracle,” exhibits how since Mirabel didn’t get a gift, she feels like an outcast and disconnected from the rest of her family. Mirabel longs for a gift and has been “patient and steadfast and steady,” waiting to get one. The last song, “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” is a musical number discussing the estranged uncle, Bruno, and how they feel about him. From Dolores’ sympathetic take, (“it’s a heavy lift with a gift so humbling”) to Camilo’s terrifying viewpoint, (“he sees
your dreams and feasts on your screams”), it shows a wide range of emotions toward him, and I think it’s a very silly, yet thoughtful song. However, a good setting is needed to convey the message the music is trying to give.

One of the last reasons I love “Encanto” so much is because of its gorgeous setting and the culture in which it comes from. “Encanto” is based in Colombia, a country in South America with rich history and traditions. There are plenty of different ways they showcased Colombia's culture, from the very design of Casita to the food they eat. Casita’s design is representative of traditional Colombian homes with colorful siding and flat-roof tiling. One of the many foods that Julieta makes to heal people, arepas, is a Colombian breakfast food made of dough and filled with meat, cheese, and all sorts of other veggies. The family's clothing is also representative of Colombia's culture: the women wear colorful skirts and dresses, while the men wear slacks and either button-downs or ruanas, the Colombian version of a poncho. The last thing I would like to mention is how beautiful the animation is. There is so much detail in every frame, that it almost looks real, apart from the characters being animated.

The only critique I have for “Encanto” is that the ending comes far too quickly, and the conflict is also resolved quite fast. Now, this is standard for a Disney movie, but I feel as though it really could have benefited if they had taken more time for the characters to start slowly forgiving Abuela for her emotional abuse, instead of them forgiving her right away. This goes especially for Bruno, who quickly forgives Abuela just because she gives him a hug and kiss. He even apologizes for everything he did even though he really didn’t do anything wrong – people just had many misconceptions about him. In spite of this, I believe that it’s an awesome movie with plenty of other good qualities.

In conclusion, “Encanto” is a fantastic movie because of its captivating music, exceptional characters, and marvelous setting. “Encanto” is more than just a silly movie about a magic house to me, though. Its characters struggle with some of the same things I do and it’s refreshing to see those issues on the big screen. It tackles issues like generational trauma within Latino families and, while I don’t personally experience it, I can see how much of a difference it can make. In “Encanto,” Mirabel said, “Even in our darkest moments, there’s light where you least expect it.” I think that’s a beautiful way of thinking
about how even when times are tough, there is always a way out. I still hope that one day I will find a house every bit as magical as Casita.

Afra ELITE said...
on Mar. 12 2022 at 8:11 am
Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other

"A writer must never be short of ideas."
-Gabriel Agreste- (Fictional character- Miraculous)

Even I love Encanto...I love the joint family bond there...♡♡♡
I also like those scenes of Pepa and Isabela together, signifying the bond between Aunt and niece and my most favourite thing is that Abuela's favourite child is Isabela(I wish I was my Maternal grandma's favourite child) and they both kind of look alike...♡♡♡
Also, Dolores is more like the sister to Mirabel even though Louisa and Isabela are there...☆☆☆