The Social Dilemma | Teen Ink

The Social Dilemma

April 28, 2021
By madelynhind BRONZE, Congers, New York
madelynhind BRONZE, Congers, New York
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments


Social media is a scary world that sucks you right in. If you want your fear of rising technology to grow, you must watch the documentary, The Social Dilemma, directed by Ray Orlowski. This movie includes tech experts who highlight the disturbing facts of behind the scenes in social networking and the dangerous impact it has on people. I always knew there was a scary backside to social media but I didn't realize the extent of it. The documentary uncovers the sad truth of the addiction to this social media world we created and the secrets behind it. 

I expected for addiction to phones to be a topic of discussion, especially within rising teens and children, but they actually acted out a whole story about a teen, including information on the effect on mental health, was shocking. Although this act was informative, it was kind of cringy. It was very dramatic, in my opinion, and the acting wasn’t superb, but it definitely got the point across. Besides this, all the other “Hollywood” aspects of the documentary were excellent. They had many different angles and views of each type of people from their different areas of work interviewed. In addition, there was always suspense music which I found kept me very intrigued, and also set the dark, scary mood. Important lines and statements were highlighted and written for whole clips, too. At first, I liked this and felt that it helped dramatize some of the statements said by the interviewees, but it was overused. I felt that continuously reading lines on the screen that were being stated out loud already took away the importance of the other really interesting quotes. 

Overall, I think they did a great job informing the public on some of the invading stuff that goes on within social networks. I know, personally, coming away from the documentary I will do and see things differently online. I would definitely recommend it to family and friends, but hope this documentary doesn’t scare them too much. I hope it teaches them that social media isn’t just what you think it is and to help them realize the unfortunate reality of addiction our generation has to our phone.