Snowpiercer Review | Teen Ink

Snowpiercer Review

By katiegaglio BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
katiegaglio BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

With stunning futuristic visuals and an intoxicating plot, Snowpiercer presents a world that answers a precarious question: how far will we go to save ourselves? The film tells the story of the survivors of  Earth’s demise, and their lives on an almighty train that travels on a never ending track through the layers of snow and ice that now blanket the world. The poorest residents live under ghastly conditions in the back of the train, and the dainty rich live in splendor toward the front, where the train’s sacred engine lies. Curtis Everett (Chris Evans) reluctantly takes the lead in the poor’s journey to the front, where their goal is to capture the engine, and get a taste of the grandeur the rich experience every day.

Behind all of the visuals and special effects included in the film, the component that I found to be the most important was its underlying message. The train that the characters live on is a representation of society today, and our social classes. The impoverished are looked down upon by the wealthy, and the inventor of the train, Wilford. They are told by Wilford’s assistant, Mason, to know their place. It brings attention to the issue in today’s society, and in history, where one group of people discriminated against another group for a reason that they cannot control. Director Bong Joon Ho shows that even the end of the world won’t bring about the end of classism. 

Another major factor in this film is its pacing. It opens with text on screen to give the viewer background knowledge, and the first few scenes set the foundation for what is about to take place. But, something that I personally disliked about the pacing of Snowpiercer was the order it seemed to follow once the main event had taken place, leading to the climax. The scenes followed a pattern of one filled with action; then one that was relaxed and slow paced. This made the film a bit repetitive, but it was still consistent and true to its storyline, making it worth the watch.

The music that accompanies this film enhances the scenes, and further depicts the characters’ emotions. Composer Marco Beltrami’s work on this film brings the setting to life. During fight scenes, suspenseful and eerie music plays in the background of the action. The music is highlighted in somber scenes, as the specific instruments that play show their increasing vulnerability as they continue their fight to the head of the train.

When it comes to acting, the cast of Snowpiercer truly delivers, all giving outstanding and intense performances that help develop their characters. Chris Evans shows the true vulnerability of his character toward the end of the film, and tells the heartbreaking story of Curtis’ past, and his years on Earth before the time of the train.  Go Ah-sung starts off shy, portraying Yona, the clairvoyant daughter of famous code breaker Namgoong Minsu. But as the characters journey through the train, she becomes more confident in her abilities, and is able to fend for herself and take the lead when needed. Ed Harris performs briefly as the carefree and cunning Wilford, who is the mind behind the train, and its organization. He gives viewers insight into his priorities as the inventor of the train, and the genius behind its creation.

During one specific fight sequence in the film, cinematography plays a major role. The way in which the action is captured doesn’t follow a typical format. The camera movement stops when the action does, but during the fighting a blackout occurs, sending viewers into complete darkness. When the camera picks up again, it shakes, as the action is now being shown from the perspective of night vision goggles, worn on a fighter’s head as he makes his way through the crowd of people. The sound effects and cinematic style of this scene make it seem even more realistic, and make the viewer feel as if they are with the characters in this battle.

Overall,  Snowpiercer is a film that without a doubt captures viewers’ attention, not only because of its outstanding cast, plot and cinematography, but also because it calls our attention to an important issue. In society, are we ever all considered equal?