Review of Spirited Away | Teen Ink

Review of Spirited Away

November 17, 2019
By theaha BRONZE, Staten Island, New York
theaha BRONZE, Staten Island, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

     An abandoned building stands tall amidst a grassy field, the paint fading and the shingles on the roof falling off. However, behind its facade, the building houses a fantastical world of secrets and magic. Chihiro, the protagonist of Hayao Miyazaki’s fantasy coming-of-age movie Spirited Away, must navigate this whimsical universe while also trying to find her way back home. Raking in over 361 million dollars since its release in 2001, the enchanting animated film has captivated audiences around the globe with its charming characters and meaningful themes. Spirited Away weaves an intricate story which will leave viewers with tears in their eyes and hope in their hearts.

     Miyazaki tells the tale of a ten-year-old girl named Chihiro (Daveigh Chase), who is moving to a new town with her mother and father. However, on their way to their new house, they get lost and wander into what seems to be an abandoned amusement park. Unbeknownst to them, the “amusement park” is actually a bathhouse for spirits which tends to the spirits’ every need. Chihiro’s parents accidentally devour the food left out for the spirits and get turned into pigs, forcing Chihiro to fend for herself in the spirit world.

     Studio Ghibli’s signature animation style truly brings the story to life. Every scene is breathtaking, with bright colors and stunning detail which immerses viewers into the movie. The otherworldly bathhouse and its peculiar residents are animated with painstaking care. As Chihiro runs through gorgeously illustrated flower fields and soars through the beautifully drawn night sky, audiences feel like they are experiencing her adventures right beside her.

     Spirited Away’s enchanting soundtrack, composed by Joe Hisaishi, only pulls viewers further into the fictional world of spirits. The music is a thrill to the auditory sense and is carefully tailored to each moment of the movie. The film’s most noted and powerful songs are “One Summer’s Day” (also known as ”The Name of Life”) and “Always With Me,” the animation’s closing track. In fact, “Always With Me” (which was originally planned to be in an unreleased film by Miyazaki called Rin the Chimney Painter) inspired the creation of Spirited Away. The soundtrack reflects the movie’s themes of love and friendship with lyrics such as, “I know on the other side of [my tears], I’ll find you.”

     On top of being a beloved tale about a girl who enters the spirit realm, Spirited Away holds several deeper meanings. The movie is heavily based on Japanese culture and folklore, especially the Japanese tradition in which villagers invite spirits into their homes during a solstice ritual. It is believed that when Chihiro entered the spirit world, she entered the Japanese’s fabled land of kamikakushi (Japanese for “hidden by gods”)  and died, but upon leaving the bathhouse, Chihiro was resurrected as a mature girl and given a fresh start on life. Several societal issues are addressed in the film as well. For example, greed is represented by Chihiro’s parents turning into pigs after eating food that was not meant for them. Each spirit that Chihiro meets depicts a social issue, such as privilege, pollution, and pressure applied by society.

     I first watched Spirited Away at the age of seven, and I was delighted by the dazzling scenes and the lovable protagonist, Chihiro. Over the years, it evolved into something much more meaningful than a good movie. It taught me how valuable friendship is and Miyazaki’s fantasy spirit world quickly found a place in my heart.  I still turn to this film whenever life gets tough, and every rewatch is absolutely worth it.

     Spirited Away is an incredible film that never fails to bring a glowing smile to viewers’ faces. It has resonated with audiences of all ages  is often regarded as the best animation of all time. The movie never loses its childlike wonder no matter how many times it is watched, and that is what makes it so awe-inspiring. Miyazaki’s film will spirit you away to a universe of monsters and magic that you will never forget.