Legally Blonde | Teen Ink

Legally Blonde MAG

June 21, 2019
By mangowrites BRONZE, San Diego, California
mangowrites BRONZE, San Diego, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

To begin, I’d first like to thank this film for introducing me to the words “alibi,” “liposuction,” and “objection!” Special thanks to that last word, because I would wind up seeing it a lot during my “Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney” gameplay.

My first encounter with “Legally Blonde” was when I was in elementary school. Needless to say, I understood almost nothing about the film aside from, “Harvard is good,” “Her boyfriend is mean,” and “Wow, I want to be like Elle Woods.” Rewatching the film as a teenager, that last sentiment still rings true. I still want to be like Elle Woods. Who doesn’t?

“Legally Blonde” (2001) introduces us to fashion princess Elle Woods (Reese Witherspoon), who is cruelly dumped by her boyfriend, Warner (Matthew Davis), when she is expecting a proposal from him. Warner cites that Elle is not intelligent enough for his law school aspirations, and dashes off to Harvard Law School. Determined to win Warner back, a devastated Elle sets her sights, too, on the same law school. She gains admission with a shocking 179 on her LSAT. Elle’s time at Harvard, however, is not easy, as she faces belittlement from her peers, scrutiny from her professors, and sexual harassment. Ultimately, our heroine comes out of the experience strong and successful.

While the film maintains competent cinematography, “Legally Blonde” shines most brightly with its charming characters. Vivian Kensington (Selma Blair), Professor Stromwell (Holland Taylor), and the whimsical David Kidney (Oz Perkins) made for a strong band of supporting characters. However, the true standout, unsurprisingly, is Elle Woods.

Reese Witherspoon pulls off her character extremely well, bringing to life the likable, bubbly, cheerful, and unflinchingly authentic Woods, who is impossible not to root for. Elle, who comes into law school hoping for the validation of her ex-boyfriend, goes through a remarkable character journey, ultimately gaining confidence in herself. By the end of the film, Woods becomes independent and ambitious, a far cry from her former self. Most notably, however, is that, despite her own development, Elle never loses sight of who she is, as shown by her fully pink outfit when she appears in the courtroom in the finale of the movie. She develops as a character, sure, but she never sacrifices her own identity to do so. And, when Elle almost does lose sight of who she is, she almost loses her future law career, showing us that, if we lose sight of ourselves, we lose everything.

All in all, the film can be interpreted in many different ways for many different people. However, the story of a young woman gaining confidence and independence despite setback after setback never loses its luster. Eighteen years later, “Legally Blonde” still remains an iconic film. So, if you haven’t watched it yet, watch it. And if you’ve already seen it? Do yourself a favor and watch it again.