US Review | Teen Ink

US Review

By BN_99 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
BN_99 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

The movie Us takes a refreshing new approach to horror that I think every American can feel while watching. Director Jordan Peele does an excellent job capturing a feeling of fear through a story that thrusts the viewers into a world where everyone has an evil that follows them. This film used symbolism to enhance the scenarios. The plot keeps the viewer guessing until the very end.

This enticing storyline begins the main character, Adelaide Wilson, and her parents at a boardwalk. She wanders off. Something traumatic happens to young Adelaide. The plot then progresses 30 years to present day where that night still haunts her. Her anxiety gets worse when her husband and two kids return to her childhood home.

Although this film was a unique and new experience, certain points seemed to fail to tie up loose ends and some of the ideas seemed underdeveloped. For example, what was the significance of the red jumpsuits? It seemed like a random color and outfit to include on the dopplegangers presented in this film. It may also leave the audience confused on how they were produced with limited resources. Another source of confusion was the amount of rabbits. There are quite a few bunnies in the tunnels and the production crew fails to provide any explanation on what they symbolize or their origins. Although there were a few holes in the plot that were not closed completely, this production does a tremendous job at conveying an unsettling message that hate is more powerful than love.

Not only did the film convey a wonderfully chilling message to the audience, but it also had a great cast. Lupita Nyong'o and Madison Curry do a phenomenal job portraying the role of Adelaide Wilson and her “red”. The two actors, on top of looking almost identical, both do an excellent job transporting the audience into the story. Curry and Nyong’o have a solid group of actors and actresses behind them including, but not limited to, Winston Duke as Abraham, Anna Diop as Rayne Thomas, and Tim Heidecker as Josh Tyler. The cast creates an experience so convincing and so vivid that as a moviegoer you feel as if the events are actually transpiring right in front of you and the screen is nothing but a window.

There are many things to love about this movie, but one of the most interesting components to the story is that nobody is safe. The entire country of the United States is the target. This is one of those rare movies without a happy ending. Even after the credits role you can still feel your brain thinking and your heart racing.

Ultimately, this was a very good movie that kept viewers guessing until the very end. If I had to offer any piece of advice for anyone who is looking to attend a showing of this film, I would say be patient. This was a brilliantly composed production that requires time to soak in and analyze. In order, to fully appreciate this films brilliance I would use the internet, your mind, and the power of conversation to ponder this masterpiece. In conclusion, if you take the time to watch and think about this movie you will enjoy it and all of the interesting elements it brings to the world of horror.