Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie Review | Teen Ink

Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie Review

James Rolfe's venerable character, the Angry Video Game Nerd, gets his own starring conveyance with his eponymous film.

Based on the hit web series, Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie follows the Nerd, follows a disgruntled gamer who discovers that they are making a sequel to the worst video game of all time, he must overcome his fear of the original video game in order to save his fans. Hilarity ensues as a simple road trip becomes an extravagant pursuit of the unexpected.

The Angry Video Game Nerd has been weaving his way through James Rolfe's slack film tapestry, from his early inspired days, through to his recent, mostly panned, comedy, AVGN: The Movie. In many ways, it was among the most comical things on offer, coalescing a physically contacting naivety with language that could peel paint.

The trouble is, Rolfe seems to have difficulty leaving the Nerd behind him. But, as the cyber world dweebs presciently ask in the story, can the Angry Video Game Nerd support an entire movie? The answer is... sometimes.

The film is an infuriatingly patchy experience, with moments of inspired foulness. But the gag hit/miss ratio is authentically only about 50/50 and the rambling, freewheeling plot is virtually non-existent at points. In the cessation, it's a kind of geeky Road To... movie, with considerably more references to gaming history than was customary in The Wizard.

Guests from the web series pop in and out of the less-than-weighty narrative. Howard Scott Warshaw and Bear McCreary stand out. But there are additionally whole expanses of mirthless celluloid, and, even after an elongated Kaiju skit and a cameo by Lloyd Kaufman (Robbie Rist voices the alien), Rolfe appears to have absolutely no conception on how to culminate it.

Angry Video Game Nerd fans will relish, but not for younger viewers but new viewers will have an abundance of regalement with this movie.

Reviewed with much help from Marvin "Knife" Sotelo