La La Land Movie Review | Teen Ink

La La Land Movie Review

November 27, 2018
By Shreya321 SILVER, Hayward, California
Shreya321 SILVER, Hayward, California
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"In a world where you can be anything, be kind"


Damien Chazelle’s La La Land is a salute to the individuals’ who pursued their passions despite the warnings of others through the story of two dreamers in present-day Hollywood. This magical tale effectively captures the beauty of dreams through song, dance, and old Hollywood flair. Mia Dolan, an aspiring actress and cafe employee, encounters Sebastian Wilder, a struggling jazz pianist, through a series of opportune meetings. These two dreamers find solace in each other’s ambitions and begin a modern day romance. The film explores the sacrifices, struggles, and memories made in the pursuit of their dreams.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie because I could truly feel the passion and see the hard work of the cast and crew in each scene. The acting was phenomenal and authentic: I was able to empathize with the heartbreak and joys of Mia and Sebastian's journeys. The plot of this movie was excellently written, incorporating elements of both fantasy and reality into the theme of dreams. Though this movie definitely one of my favorites, I gave it 4 stars because I did not enjoy the music in this movie. La La Land is a musical-movie, and since music is a key component of this genre of movie, I feel as if the lyrics of the songs could have been better written and the tunes could have been composed better.

I recommend this movie to anyone of any age because this movie has a unique charm of having a different meaning to everyone that sees it. For kids, the vivid colors and exciting choreography will capture their attention. For teens, the allure of dreams will resonate with their ambitions and the approach of college. Adults can relate the sacrifices of Mia and Sebastian with their own and find comfort in Mia and Sebastian's stories. Seniors will remember their dreams and watch this movie with wistful, knowing eyes. Chazelle’s La La Land will definitely find a place in your heart and your movie shelf. Each time you watch this masterpiece, you will forget about your troubles for 128 minutes and be whisked away to “La La Land”, where anything is possible.


The author's comments:

I throrough enjoyed this wonderful movie that salutes to the dreamers who turned their visions into a reality.