Black Panther | Teen Ink

Black Panther

By David19 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
David19 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

Imagine having a suit made of Vibranium, an alien metal stronger than titanium. Your suit gets more damage resistant as bullets are pointlessly pelted against you. Now, imagine having a genius sister that can make you any kind of gadget you would need. That is the story of Black Panther, a 2018 Marvel movie with fast-paced action, quality character development, and consistent music.

Black Panther is set in 1992. The movie is about Killmonger's (Michael B. Jordan) plan to give oppressed Africans around the world special weapons made out of a metal called Vibranium. However, these weapons are in a technologically advanced and futuristic world called Wakanda, which is posing as a third world country. The movie starts off in Oakland, California and is then set mostly in Wakanda with a few scenes in England and South Korea. My favorite scene is when an outsider goes to Wakanda to find out that it's a not-so-primitive country with magnetic levitation railways, flying cars, and holograms. The movie stars Chadwick Boseman as King T'Challa, the main protagonist. The film is directed by Ryan Coogler who successfully portrays the theme of isolationism. Wakanda disguises itself to the outside world as a third world country. However, it is actually a country with more advanced technology than that of other countries. Wakanda knows of the other issues around the world but does not want to get into those affairs. At the end of the film, King T'Challa changes and radically modifies the tradition of Wakanda.

The movie won many awards such as the BET Awards for best movie, and the MTV Movie + TV Awards for best villain. It is praised for its mainly African American cast which changes the stereotypes about their families, and communities, deviating from what is often depicted in movies. Black Panther's Michael B. Jordan is astounding. He does several activities during production to make his acting even more real. Jordan wasn't with the cast as they filmed the other steps of production. This is done because Jordan plays a Wakandan exile who lived most of his life in the States while the other cast members learn different accents and costumes, making him feel alone. The Huffington Post says, "Jordan gained 20 pounds and grew out his hair in preparation for the film. He also kept a journal..."

The music of Black Panther required careful research to ensure that it smoothly flows with scenes. The composer, Ludwig Göransson, visited Senegal to learn about African music. He spent several weeks with local musicians to form the "base" of his score. The music is a combination of African rhythms and hip-hop beats. The music has mostly culture rich instruments such as the talking drum and the tambin. We can hear a trap beat used to reflect Killmonger's background in which he was is finding his way back to Wakanda as an exile who grew up as an American. The music that Göransson creates flows with the film and is able to connect with the characters. It's most reflective of Killmonger who grew up in the rough environment of Oakland while still having an ancestry to the Wakandans. Göransson's score works cohesively in every scene of Black Panther, which sets the mood.

Black Panther is a great superhero movie that is current with the world we live in. It has themes that are rarely seen in other superhero films as well as great cinematography. After watching this film, you'll wish you could visit Wakanda yourself.