Crazy Rich Asians | Teen Ink

Crazy Rich Asians

November 12, 2018
By zifei SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
zifei SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“I met a girl, I fell in love, and I want to marry her.” This is the iconic line, Nick Young, son of the biggest developers of Singapore, says when asked why he would want to marry an ordinary girl like Rachel Chu. Based on the bestselling novel by Kevin Kwan, Crazy Rich Asians explores stereotypes, family, and powerful females through its beautifully displayed romance, comedy, plot twists, and stunning luxury.

The movie follows fellow New Yorker, Rachel Chu (Constance Wu) to Singapore, where she is invited by her boyfriend to attend a friend’s wedding and meet his family. What she doesn’t know is that her boyfriend, Nick Young (Henry Golding), is one of the most eligible and wealthy bachelors of Singapore. Thrust into the rich social spotlight, Rachel Chu must learn to cope with snobby elites, eccentric relatives, and her boyfriend’s disapproving mother. With the help of her best friend, Goh Peik Lin (Awkwafina), and Nick’s cousin, Astrid Leong (Gemma Chan), Rachel discovers the importance of love, family, and friendship while learning about her background and past.

Crazy Rich Asians is the first major studio movie in 25 years to feature a cast that’s mostly Asian. The actors come from all over the world, including America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. The performers are extraordinarily true and dedicated to their characters. For example, Constance Wu, who plays the dynamic character of Rachel Chu,  has had experience with the Asian Hollywood scene from the comedy television show Fresh Off the Boat. She uses her skill to exceptionally portray a loving girlfriend who becomes aware of her surroundings and transforms into a stronger young woman. Henry Golding, who plays heartthrob and boyfriend Nick Young, appears on screen for the first time as an actor. However, despite being new, he is no stranger to being a hopeless romantic just like Nick Young. Awkwafina, who plays Goh Peik Lin, makes her character three-dimensional. In an interview with Jimmy Kimmel, Awkwafina commented, “[My grandma] saw the trailer for Crazy Rich Asians and she was like, “You’re not even acting. It’s just you.”Awkwafina definitely steals the show with her brilliant one-liners. She is an absolute delight to see on screen and adds the comedy to the romance.

Director Jon M. Chu and the crew members do a spectacular job portraying the luxury of the elite Asians of Singapore while staying true to its sophisticated culture. The crew transforms two abandoned mansions that were covered in monkey feces into glorious homes for the wealthy Singaporeans. They use slow motion and music to accentuate the elaborate glamour. Comedic scenes that showcase Rachel Chu trying on fancy outfits help promote the clothes that brands such as Marchesa, Missoni, and Ralph Lauren designed and donated for the purpose of the movie. The wedding scene is not only emotional, but it is also a stunning display of luxury. As guests wave butterfly lanterns, water and flowers flow graciously down the aisle. These gorgeous scenes combined with popular and traditional Chinese songs, help create the comedic-romantic mood the movie aims for and excels at.

However, most importantly, Crazy Rich Asians is a blessing for the Asian community. In an age of Asian underrepresentation in films, movies such as To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before, Searching, and Crazy Rich Asians help shine a light on stereotyping Asians in the film industry. In past films, Asians have been mainly known on screens for kung fu and exaggerated accents, but Crazy Rich Asians remind audiences of the true culture of Asia, which is the importance of love and family. As an Asian American female who is definitely not crazy rich, I could still relate to the movie on a personal level. Crazy Rich Asians is a huge step in Asian representation in the film industry and helps provide hope to young people like me, who will now firmly believe that people of Asian descent can have huge roles on the big screen too.

Crazy Rich Asians is a truly exceptional movie for everyone. It focuses on romance, comedy, women empowerment, and the importance of representation of Asians in the film industry. It is not surprising that this movie earned $34 million in ticket sales during its opening weekend. Watching this movie will not only fill you with satisfaction but will also leave you crazy rich in love with the film.