The Man Who Knew Infinity | Teen Ink

The Man Who Knew Infinity MAG

By ArRav BRONZE, Mhow, Other
ArRav BRONZE, Mhow, Other

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live it's whole life believing it was stupid.

“An equation means nothing to me unless it expresses a thought of God.”

These are the words of brilliant mathematician,  Srinivasa Ramanujan, in the drama based on his life called “The Man Who Knew Infinity.”

“The Man Who Knew Infinity” gives its viewers an inside look into the life of the genius mathematician, a poor clerk in the Madras Presidency (under British India), who due to his profound knowledge and mind-boggling discoveries in the field of mathematics, finds himself at the footsteps of Trinity College, Cambridge, under the guidance of a Fellow of the Royal Society and mathematician, G. H. Hardy. The movie – starring Dev Patel as Ramanujan and Jeremy Irons as Hardy – explores Ramanujan’s extraordinary passion for mathematics and how he, despite having no formal training in pure mathematics, produced ground-breaking new theorems. Directed by Mathew Brown, the film does an excellent job at portraying the life of the Indian mathematician. His experiences at Cambridge and his unique relationship with professor Hardy – combined with meaningful, yet witty script writing – makes for a movie worth remembering. The film’s pacing does feel dull and abrupt in several spots, but watching the movie is still a good experience.

Even though I am not much into mathematics, I do fancy a great story – one that is entertaining and inspiring – and the life of Srinivasa Ramanujan is nothing less than a great story.

A review of the movie The Man Who Knew Infinity (2016). Great movie, must watch.