Chasing Shadows by Swati Avasthi | Teen Ink

Chasing Shadows by Swati Avasthi

July 8, 2013
By RachelAllyce SILVER, Des Plaines, Illinois
RachelAllyce SILVER, Des Plaines, Illinois
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Reality is for people with no imagination." -Jan Tincher.


Let me just start out by saying that Chasing Shadows definitely pulled me in right from the first page. The story tells of three friends that are freerunners in Chicago on the brink of planning their futures. Savitri is debating about leaving all she knows to go off to Princeton and the others are caught in the crossfire. Corey, Savitri’s boyfriend, and Holly, Savitri’s best friend, are twin siblings that are caught at the wrong place and time. A hooded murderer leaves Corey dead and Holly in a coma. The whole entire journey to find Corey’s murderer is one that tests friendships, faith, trust, and sanity. It’s a psychological thriller with incredible graphics by Craig Phillips.
I thought that the characters could have used a little more background. I wish I knew Corey better before his rapid murder. I knew why he was important to the main characters, but there wasn't much background about him or the others. It mostly seemed plot driven, but this was one of the main reasons I loved it so much. The lack of knowing what was real and the different perspectives provided so many plot twists and made me think in unusual ways. It made me question what was real and whose side I was on.
Another thing that I absolutely loved about this book was that there were dashes of superheroes and their heroism. Holly often referred to herself as a resurrected superhero and, with all of the action, I believed it. It made me feel like I was reading a Marvel comic and it made my experience much more enjoyable throughout.
Since I did manage to have the honor of reviewing this book from Random House, and it was an advanced copy, there was a spelling error. I also caught words that weren't spaced out. These were just technical editing fixes that didn't get to that stage yet.
The entire novel was wonderfully written and delivered an immense amount of imagery outside the great graphics. I had tears near the end because of all the twists and an unexpected ending. I recommend this book to everyone once it hits bookshelves and e-readers everywhere in September 2013.


The author's comments:
I received this book to review from Random House. I'm so happy that I got the honor to review this. I definitely recommend this book!