Everneath by Brodi Ashton | Teen Ink

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

By LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon

For, I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not honour more.
-- Richard Lovelace, quoted often by Baroness Emmuska Orczy in The Scarlet Pimpernel

This book is stunningly beautiful.From the writing and characters to the flawless blending of myth and reality, it is perfect. Not to mention the gorgeous cover, I mean, really, what girl doesn't dream of a dress like that?

What caught me most was the writing. It was dramatic and completely character-centric. No unnecessary words or long, rambling paragraphs. Yet it never felt rushed and flowed naturally throughout. I loved how the author managed to portray such intense emotions with such subtlety. I also truly love what she did with two of my favorite myths, Orpheus and Eurydics and Hades and Persephone.

Nikki is wonderful. She's so quiet that you don't always notice, but she has a will of steel. Knowing that she has little time before she is lost to torment and death, her greatest wish is to make it easier on the people she leaves behind. Especially for Jack.

Ah, Jack. My favorite character. He's a really, really nice guy with hints of a rebel that sneak out with an eyebrow piercing. He doesn't know where Nikki has been for so long, but he knows that she's been hurt. So he is what she needs most; a friend. He never pushes too hard, but he never gives up. He may take a step back at certain revelations, but never for more than a moment.

Cole is an entirely different kettle of fish. He's dark through and through, and has undoubtedly done terrible things, but is he completely irredeemable? Perhaps, perhaps not. It should be...interesting.

I would recommend this book to just about anyone, but especially lovers of mythology and beautiful, beautiful romance. And to people who don't mind shedding a few tears over a magnificent ending.

Thank you to Harper Collins for generously sending me a copy of this book when I asked in exchange for a fair and honest review.