Empire of Ash and Song: To Bind Fire | Teen Ink

Empire of Ash and Song: To Bind Fire

By artistic-amelioration SILVER, Fulton, New York
artistic-amelioration SILVER, Fulton, New York

“Fiction is a lie that tells us true things over and over.” -Neil Gaiman

Ever try to grab something off a high shelf but it's just barely out of reach, then someone taller comes along and gets it down for you? That's how I feel about D.E. Carlson. To Bind Fire alleviates an irritating gap in fantasy literature. Its comfortable fantasy world, beautiful non-sexual romance, and promise-filled premise combine to create a book that is perfect for curling up on the couch with.

To Bind Fire features Iris, a young girl who can control fire, or at least is learning to. Iris joins the Traders after an accident leaves her scarred and guilt-ridden. Life is fine at first, she gains a friend and the attentions of a handsome young man, but she soon notices the others seem to hate her. She goes on to learn the truth of her heritage and the pain her people have inflicted upon the rest of the world, but she also learns that she may be the one who can make the wrongs right. Interspersed with Iris' adventure is Besaun's story revolving around a desire for freedom and a certain Lady Cassandra (the protagonist from D.E. Carlson's prequel novella Cassandra's Dragon).

Overall, the characters are distinct and have the potential to be explored more complexly in the rest of the series. Each has a clear desire, and the plot benefits from their often conflicting motivations. The beginning is a bit slow, but in a comforting, Studio Ghibli kind of way, as the foundations for the world, the characters, the conflict, and the relationships are being laid. That doesn't mean the beginning is devoid of conflict, but rather it's more internally motivated than externally driven. The external conflict picks up in the second half of the book (thankfully, without sacrificing the character's internal struggles). Spread naturally throughout is the development of a beautiful if typical, fantasy world. One familiar enough to be intuitive but with unique elements that keep it from becoming boring.

One of my favorite parts was the romance. Both romantic storylines put a definite stop to anyone who says romance needs to be "spicy" or have sexual aspects in order to be interesting. Ranging from cute moments of playful teasing to more serious moments of vulnerable connection, there is a moment that will satisfy any kind of romantic.

I did have a few problems with specific character motivations and decisions. There were a couple of times when it felt like a character said one thing, then did another. Moments that I could see reasoning behind, both plot-wise and within their motivation, but that would have benefitted from a bit more development. Iris' tendency to self-deprecate and her penchant for guilt trips could have the potential to become annoying or to be seen as slightly overdramatic; however, the author does stave off repetition by introducing moments of growth and confidence.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my ARC copy of To Bind Fire, I think it is a wonderful fantasy romance novel that could be appealing to both teenagers and young adults. I gave it a 4/5 for the minor motivation issues but I would absolutely recommend this book and Cassandra's Dragon (which will help explain Cassandra's actions towards the end of the novel) and I will most definitely be reading the next book in the series!