Monsieur Proust's Library: ARC Review | Teen Ink

Monsieur Proust's Library: ARC Review

July 8, 2021
By MariaW07 BRONZE, Vancouver, Columbia
MariaW07 BRONZE, Vancouver, Columbia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Monsieur Proust’s Library by Anka Muhlstein provides a fresh look at the life and literature of french author Marcel Proust. This biography not only gives in depth analysis of crucial moments from Proust’s renowned novel À la recherche du temps perdu, but also explores important people who influenced his relationship with literature; both as a child and later on in his life. 

Monsieur Proust’s Library is perfect for long standing fans of Proust and his work and people simply looking for a bit more information on the novelist alike. I myself, as someone who had never heard the name Marcel Proust before the book arrived on my doorstep, was still able to appreciate the extraordinary life and works of this author and gain a deeper understanding of french literature. This is something that truly sets this biography apart: it is not written for the experts or the people who have poured over Proust’s novels for countless hours, it is for anyone who has a little time and an open mind.

Another word of praise for Monsieur Proust’s Library: it’s short. Now don’t get me wrong, I love a good hefty book as much as the next reviewer and this is not some backhanded compliment. The truth is, biographies can be difficult to get through, especially if they are about someone whom you have never heard of, but with this one, you’re not committing several months of your time to finishing it, but just a week. Anka Muhlstein has not stuffed her book full of every minute detail on Proust that she could find, but instead crafted a narrative that conveyed everything you wished to know, but still continued to flow onward, introducing new moments and ideas regularly. It is truly masterful writing.

So, if you see this book on the shelf at your library or see the reviews for it pouring in you may think, “It’s too long and boring,” or “I’ve never read À la recherche du temps perdu,” or even “I have never heard of Marcel Proust in my life,” I know I did. But if you push away those thoughts and pick up this book I know you won’t regret it.


The author's comments:

I am a highschool student who loves to read. I'm usually less interested in non-fiction and biographies, so I wanted to share that even if you think biographies aren't for you Monsieur Proust's Library could change your mind.