ARC Review: The Golden Age: Book 2 by Roxanne Moreil and Cyril Pedrosa | Teen Ink

ARC Review: The Golden Age: Book 2 by Roxanne Moreil and Cyril Pedrosa

By Hocus_Pocus_Pasta SILVER, Plymouth, Michigan
Hocus_Pocus_Pasta SILVER, Plymouth, Michigan

"Do not go gentle into that good night." -Dylan Thomas

A true hero’s journey, Roxanne Moreil and Cyril Pedrosa’s The Golden Age: Book 2 is a graphic novel for fans of the classic medieval quest. After having her throne usurped by her power-hungry brother, Princess Tilda continues her campaign to reclaim her rightful title as the queen of Lantrevers. Throughout the whimsically illustrated panels, she wages action-packed war, discusses military tactics, engages in philosophical ponderings concerning the nature of government, and cradles a mysterious chest of light. This fast-paced adventure is a quick-read worthy of consideration.

It comes as no surprise that the first thing one notices about The Golden Age: Book 2 is the graphic novel’s beautiful illustrations. However, what does come as a shock is how well the sustained aesthetic is able to convey the depth and darkness the kingdom of Lantrevers commands. The gentle palette of pastels that sumptuously composes naturalistic scenes easily blends into the warmer tones of weapons and interiors, the two weaving together effortlessly in scenes of battle. Dialogue is complementary and never tramples over panels; there is scarcely a text bubble longer than a sentence. While pleasing to view, this may be partially responsible for the lackluster plot line; the story is almost completely linear and devoid of intimate character development, with the feelings and motivations of Princess Tilda only partially explored. Due to the utilitarian nature of the story, there are no mature subplots to pique interest. While this is expected with a graphic novel of this length, it is at times disappointing. Despite these drawbacks, the little dialogue devotes a heavy portion to military tactics, making it a desirable read to those itching for medieval warfare.

All in all, Roxanne Moreil and Cyril Pedrosa’s The Golden Age: Book 2 is a charming afternoon read. Its graceful craftsmanship makes up for its somewhat dull plot, contributing to a recommended read for fans of medieval sagas who are willing to sacrifice story for scenery.

---

Book cover copyright Roxanne Moreil and Cyril Pedrosa.