Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles | Teen Ink

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

January 27, 2017
By _dezmaa SILVER, Sacramento, California
_dezmaa SILVER, Sacramento, California
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
saw you at your worst and still thought you were the best


Simon Elkeles once said, “But wishes are only granted in fairy tales”. It all started in High school with a young beautiful girl named Brittany Ellis when she walked in her Chemistry class and finds herself partnered up with, someone with a whole different life  from hers, Alex Fuentes. Alex is a gang member of the latino blood in his neighborhood and he doesn’t live a luxurious life which affects his future relationship.  Soon Brittany’s “perfect life” will begin to unravel and everything will turn into a big mess for her until she decides she won’t let anything or anyone get between her and her true self and happiness.

Brittany Ellis is a senior in high school with lots of friends, nice car, perfect grades and even the perfect football player boyfriend. Brittany has everyone around her thinking she lives a perfect life and that she’s happy, she hides her true self behind her smiles and lies. She hides that her sister is disabled and that her parents aren’t happy together and that she’s even happy she puts up a wall for herself that no one but Alex can break. At first Brittany doesn’t want to accept the fact that she begins to catch feeling for Alex because of who he is.

Alex Fuentes is a senior in high school who lives on the other side of town. The poor side of town. Alex as much as Brittany lives a lie, he is in the latino blood gang because he has to not because he wants to. He lives in a small house with his two brothers and his mother, his father died when he was just a kid and soon his best friend gets  killed by his father’s killer. He falls in love with a girl that he doesn’t want to hurt but he does. Alex does make major changes in his life that puts his life at risk.

Alex and Brittany find love but Brittany is embarrassed by the fact that she starts to fall in love with Alex, the gang member, she leaves her boy friend for Alex and soon starts to see who her true friends are because her best friend ends up getting with her ex. Alex admits to Brittany that he only had sex with her over a bet with one of his friends which puts their relationship at risk so Alex leaves with his family and doesn’t say a thing to Brittany. After a few months Alex returns to do the thing he would never think of doing, he went to college. He also goes back for Brittany but things aren’t like they use to be for the two.

I recommend this book for teens that are interested in gangs and/or love. This book at first did not interest me because of the first chapter but after reading on i did not want to return the book back to my teacher because it gets so good so i read it over and over again. This book has eleven awards since 2010.


The author's comments:

This book is my faorite book because it has everything in it like gangs, love, killing and even drugs.