A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose by Eckhart Tolle | Teen Ink

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose by Eckhart Tolle

December 31, 2016
By Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
293 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"So many books, so little time"


In any library, book store, even used bookstores there is a “self-help” section. Because as humans when life gets rough, we need something to ground us, something to tell us it is okay, and how to get through the mess that is your life at the moment. This is a job of a therapist, sadly most cannot afford it (by money or time). Even sitting down with a friend is hard as most people do not want to admit what they are struggling with, in fear of said friend's judgment, or that friend may give them the wrong advice. This is where books come in. Most written by therapist or doctors can be found at any bookstore for the price of twenty dollars or less. The best part of self-help book is: you do not have to listen to them. They say something you do not agree with? Do not follow through. The book tells you to do something you are not conformable with? Put the book down. So give it a try! Especially this book as it gives you a point of view you would not expect.

A New Earth is not trying to tell you to change your life. Not helping you deal with a death, a break up, or being broke. It is not that type of self-help book, giving you the twenty steps to get rich. It is simply a book based on ego and how you can get rid of yours and live a more peaceful life. What? I know it sounds hard to believe, but it is true. Think of all the things you did not do because you were afraid, did not want to embarrass yourself, and thought you would not be any good at it. “If the history of humanity were the clinical case history of a single human being, the diagnosis would have to be: chronic paranoid delusions, a pathological propensity to commit murder and acts of extreme violence and cruelty”.  Because when you live egoless a world of opportunities opens up and not only will you find happiness, but your true self as well.

For self-help books, this one is pretty accurate. For starters Eckhart Tolle does not tell you how to live your life. There is no “do this” in his book telling you ‘If you do this you are egoless if not then your ego still controls you’. It is about the process and the ways you can let events control you, or you can let go and be free. Tolle also uses examples of famous figures such as Jesus, Stephen Hawking’s (my personal favorite) Gautama Siddhartha and more. If nothing else about these books suites you read the chapter five about The Pain-Body because that will absolutely floor you. Where Tolle writing is not that interesting a hundred percent of the time, what he speaks is fact and in plain English so that all can understand. Voted in 2008 to be a part of Oprah’s book club, if Oprah liked the story then it cannot be that bad.


The author's comments:

A actual good self-help book