Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury | Teen Ink

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

November 6, 2016
By CarolineCiet BRONZE, Draper, Utah
CarolineCiet BRONZE, Draper, Utah
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Embrace the weird" -The Spectacular Now (Tim Tharp)


Fahrenheit 451, gloriously written by Ray Bradbury depicts an all too similar world to ours, where people are being kept in a murky bubble of ignorance and bliss. This book was written in 1953, which is pretty incredible, considering how Bradbury focuses on the controversy of the imaginary world he saw, and readers can realize the similarities with our world and his. Personally, I see controversy as a very engrossing topic when it comes to books, movies, and other works of art. In Fahrenheit 451, readers can be ensnared in a world where a man struggles to live to the standards being held to him. Books are banned, people are ignorantly racing around in cars, careless to digest the beauties of the world, if there are any left. And what’s more, the dear main character, Guy Montag, has the job of fireman, to put fires ablaze to houses of people who have broken the law of possessing illegal substances, which are books or any information containing the past.


Guy Montag is a man of curiosity, disagreement, and difference in this futuristic world. He goes through a journey of leaving the fire department, being chased by the authorities, and watching the city of where his empty, ignorant clone of a wife was be completely destroyed. All in all, I was very lucky to have come across this book. Specifically, I liked the descriptions that Bradbury painted for readers when he Millie, Montag’s ignorant wife, was being described with her empty soul and worn out brain.


Montag goes through the conflict of finding peace with the ways of the world, and wanting to find a new life for himself. He first starts out with realizing he’s not happy at all, he’s just wearing a mask of fake bliss. Montag finally finds his group of people with Granger and his men, all of which have suffered and realized the sins of the way people live. The men have a plan to change the world’s ways with knowledge of the past, and of the present. Eventually, they could change the future for everyone.


All in all, Fahrenheit 451 is highly recommended by me because of its expanding amount of descriptions, and how much I can think about Bradbury’s and Montag’s world and relate it to mine.