The Rose Society (The Young Elites, #2) by Marie Lu | Teen Ink

The Rose Society (The Young Elites, #2) by Marie Lu

By Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia

"So many books, so little time"

Adelina Amouteru who’s powers feed off pain and fear, has caused a lot for herself. From the death of her beloved prince, Enzo, the betrayal of her friends, Adelina is an outcast among the outcast, only that she is wanted dead by both sides. Unwilling to lay low, Adelina is ready to strike back, hurting all who ever dared to touch her, and cause misery for the rest. 

Adelina has a simple goal: to become ruler of Kenettra, and kill all those in the Inquisition Axis. To make the White Wolf (that is her Elite name) name be whispered across fearful lips of citizens. To get there she will need her own society. But how, after the betrayal of her old society, created a trusting new one? Adelina uses fear and promises to get her new elite friends to stay, and thus the Rose Society (hence the title of the book) was born. “Why can’t I be the one to strike first, to hit so early and with such fury that my enemies cower before they can ever think of truing on me?”  As Raffaele discovered Adelina is aligned with fear, fury, passion and ambition, a dangerous mix for someone with so many issues. Her illusions are getting stronger than she can handle, as they start appearing to her as her visions her father out for revenge, Enzo’s love, making her determine to make her goals come true.

This fast-pace, heart-pounding, thriller, is Marie Lu calling, as this dark fantasy takes form, staring our antihero Adelina. The best part of this series is how unpredictable Adelina is. As an antihero she does not have to play by the rules, in fact, she can make and break them at any time. When coming across a foe, Adelina could kill them just as easily as letting them go. The story, mainly in the point of view of Adelina, also shifts to three others: Raffaele, Teren and Maeve. All four of our story tellers are Elites, marked by the blood fever, where some think they are powers from the gods (Maeve), others think they are from the devil (Teren), and the other two are trying to keep their societies from falling apart. When the dead rise because another problem for our people, heads will start to roll as Adelina pushes her Rose Society to the max, and hopefully accomplish her goal.

Fear, Fury, Passion and Ambition