Copper Sun by Sharon M. Draper | Teen Ink

Copper Sun by Sharon M. Draper

By poeticstarlet94 PLATINUM, Irving, Texas
poeticstarlet94 PLATINUM, Irving, Texas

"To thine own self be true."

"Copper Sun" is the riveting story of a fifteen-year-old girl named Amari. Amari is content living with her family, friends, and her betrothed, Besa in her village in Africa. In an instant though, her entire life changes. Her family is killed by invaders in her village. They are white slave traders. Amari becomes the victim of brutal rape and injustice on her journey to a new world...America. There she is sold to a heartless plantation owner and given to his son as a birthday present. It takes Polly, an indentured white girl that Amari must now live and work with, for her to realize that the grass is not always greener on the other side. Through her tests and trials, her strength shines through and she is able to overcome the obstacles set before her. "Copper Sun" is an immaculately written look at the way life used to be for some and the progress we have made. I adored this realistically fictional tale of perseverance and overcoming. I'd recommend this book to anyone who sees the strength that lies withing themselves, or anyone who is still searching for that missing link.