Mindset:The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck | Teen Ink

Mindset:The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck

By brookeb22 BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
brookeb22 BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

Mindset: The New Psychology of Success is written by Carol S. Dweck who is a psychology professor at Stanford University. She teaches courses in motivation, social development and personality. This translates into her book by explaining how there are two different mindsets in people that affect us and our relationships with people. Written in first person, Dweck describes how these mindsets are used in everyday lives and how they transform a person. The book focuses more on younger generations to help them understand there are two ways to think, but only one way can get you to where you are going.
Throughout this book, Dweck explains and provides real life examples on the two mindsets and how they differ from one another. In the beginning, she starts out by telling us there are simply two types of people: one with a fixed mindset and one with a growth mindset. “A fixed  mindset creates an urgency to prove yourself over and over and you only have a certain amount of intelligence, personality, or a moral character… A growth mindset is based on the belief that your basic qualities are things you can cultivate through your efforts and everyone can change and grow through  application and experience” (Dweck 6). Dweck continues to compare and contrast each mindset and how far you will get with each one in your everyday lives.
In this book, there are many sections in which Dweck breaks down. She starts by taking us inside the mindsets and how each of them work and what each person accomplishes with them. Then she takes us into sports and businesses. Here, she talks about being a leader with both mindsets in children and adults. She continues to go on about the mindsets in relationships and explains how coaches, teachers, and parents can help teach a growth mindset to their children to ensure they get the best out of what they do. Everyone experiences situations when they think they have failed and they just give up, that there is no point in going on. However, Dweck would
argue that if you have a growth mindset you can change your fate and the way things plan out. Having a growth mindset is the starting point of change.
Everyone struggles with something whether it be in school, sports, work, or family and there is always something that will make you want to give up. That is why Mindset: The New Psychology of Success is a great book to read for any age. It will teach you and motivate you to find the right mindset and to keep trying no matter how hard things get. The book will help you gain a tight grasp on strategizing to change mindsets and to believe in yourself when nobody else does. Carol S. Dweck does a phenomenal job on this book in inspiring people to change the way the think. Mindset: The New Psychology of Success is a great read for finding motivation within yourself and the things you do.

What inspired me to write this piece was the fact that I struggle a lot with choosing the correct mindset. In sport and school I need motivation and to know that I can do anything as long as I try and that is really what this book teaches. It's about choosing th mindset that takes you further becasuse you can't do it alone.