All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven | Teen Ink

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

By nncrocks SILVER, Villanova, Pennsylvania
nncrocks SILVER, Villanova, Pennsylvania

"The world is but a canvas to our imagination." Henry David Thoreau

The book starts off with Violent Markey on the ledge of her school’s bell tower contemplating jumping. She is frozen with terror and just wants the pain from her sister’s death to stop hunting her. With a different perspective, we see that Theodore Finch happens to be nearby. He starts talking to her to calm her and get her back on solid ground.

The only problem is these two come from two different worlds. Violent was a popular cheerleader until her sister’s death and Finch is an unpredictable rebel. So when they’re escorted by security, Finch allows everyone to think Violent talked him out of suicide. 

After their encounter, Finch cannot stop thinking about Violent. He makes sure his presence is known to her everywhere she goes. Finch even signs them up for the “Wander the State” school project together. As a part of the project, they drive around Indiana together in Finch’s beat-up car.  She starts seeing the world through Finch’s eyes. Each spot becomes a unique experience for them. Finch helps Violent slowly forget her sister’s demise and discover new challenges.

Just as we think there will be a happy ending to this modern love story, we see Finch battle inner demons. He even goes to see a doctor that says he might have bipolar disorder, but he refuses to be labeled. This is when we see Violent try to help Finch through this.

I recommend this book because we, the reader, see the intricate perspectives of two teens in Niven’s fluid writing while hearing about grim subjects. Many teens can relate to first loves and how hard it is to hold on to. A real page turner that lingers in your mind way after its departure from your hands.

Many people have said this book is ‘The Fault in our Stars’ meets ‘Eleanor and Park’, but I think ‘All the Bright Places’ stands on its own as a great novel for all teens.