Heaven is for Real | Teen Ink

Heaven is for Real

By Tjack SILVER, Welch, Minnesota
Tjack SILVER, Welch, Minnesota

“How do you scare some sense into a child who doesn’t fear death?” This quote is according to the father of this little boy.  Young children typically have more fear than an adult due to lack of knowledge about the world.  In this case, from the book Heaven is for Real, the young boy is not apprehensive about death. My perspective about heaven was scary.  This book has changed my view from being afraid of death to accepting the reality of going to Heaven.  This book is about a four year old that has visited heaven and had amazing stories while visiting.  I was amazed how a four year old had so many stories about this miraculous place. The stories were also very detailed by vivid colors, people he met, and much more.  This novel to me is tragic, suspenseful, and engaging. 
This book can be tragic.  I believe this because the boy in the story has to have  surgery on his appendix which is a life or death case.  He has to have the appendix surgery because it burst, which is very life threatening.  Throughout the process of his surgery, I am always wondering if he will survive.  This connects to my life because my cousin had this same diagnosis a year ago.  I can relate to this family.  My cousin was eighteen at the time.  It is tragic to think such a young boy has to endure this pain on himself and his family who continue to worry. 
To me this book can also be suspenseful. I think this because I want to know if the boy  survives the surgery.  Why did he go to heaven if he didn’t die?  What will he think of the surgery?  There are many questions I have about this situation that keep my interest.  As I read this book, I kept on remembering that this was a real boy and is based on a true story.  What if this would have happened to my cousin?  Would he have had the same experience?  It would be cool to know someone that did.  It makes me even more anxious to continue reading to see what happens to him and what heaven will be like for me.
This book is engaging to me because I don’t want to put the book down from reading.  Even when I am away from the book, I continue to ponder about what has happened and what is possibly coming next.  I often think about the main character’s life now as he continues to grow and is a healthy boy.  To me, I would love to have the opportunity to not die, but yet see my grandparents that are in heaven.  It would be a wonderful experience to see them and all the colors surrounding them.  The boy states that in heaven, all the people are young.  It would be different to see my grandparents as young adults.  I wonder if I’d recognize them.  This book is so pleasing to me that I want a sequel written to see what the next chapters of his life will bring. 
Heaven is for Real is tragic, suspenseful, and engaging.  I like how it is based on a true story but it doesn't seem like reality. Heaven is for Real is my favorite book.  Books like this absorb my thoughts.  I often reflect on the meaning and storyline long after I complete the book.  I now often think about heaven, but in a different way.  “Sometimes laughter is the only way to process tough times.” (Burpo)  That is how I feel about heaven.  Not so dreary and dark, but more colorful, full of friendly young faces and bright lights.