Hush (a novel) by Eishes Chayil (Judy Brown) | Teen Ink

Hush (a novel) by Eishes Chayil (Judy Brown)

By rumorsareflying BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
rumorsareflying BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hush is a chilling exploration of the issues that plague one tight knit Jewish community. Throughout the book, the speaker switches between life in 2000 and life in 2008- without spoiling the suspense. 

The premise is complex- Gittel lives in a Hasidic community in New York City. Her life is governed by strict religious practices and discipline. Her best friend, however, is a rebel. Devory loves to read, get in trouble, and play. Devory's family is concerned about her because she keeps getting into trouble. Only Gittel knows the truth- Devory is being horribly abused by her brother and every rebellious act that Devory commits is a silent cry for help. Later in the book, Gittel has to come to terms with what happened to Devory- and how to prevent it from ever happening again. 

The book is well crafted, but what makes it compelling is the author. Eishes Chayil is a pseudonym- it means "Woman of Valor" in Hebrew. The author of the book came out after it was published- her real name is Judy Brown, and she herself grew up in a Hasidic family.

This novel is hard to swallow for some readers, but Brown captures the voice of a child perfectly. If anything, it makes the novel more haunting. The book may be fiction, but abuse is a reality in many isolated communities.