The Odyssey by Homer | Teen Ink

The Odyssey by Homer

November 29, 2014
By KatieKrantz SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia
KatieKrantz SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia
5 articles 0 photos 3 comments

From bloody battles throughout foreign lands to steamy love scenes, this book has covered it all. Prepare to be swept away by feats of strength and cunning, and for your heart to be stolen by sweet scenes of love and rekindled flames in this raunchy story. Launch yourself into a new yesterday with Homer’s The Odyssey, a book sweeping through high schools across the nation.

The Odyssey is both a coming of age story and an action tale. As Telemachus fights to grow up and find his place in the world, Odysseus is just trying to come home. Halfway through the story, aided by watchful Athena, they team up and conquer all of the challenges they face taking Ithaca back as Odysseus’s. At the same time, Odysseus’s wife, Penelope, struggles to come to terms with the absence of her husband and keep those that want his power away. The entire plot builds to a climax when Telemachus, Odysseus, and Athena team up to save Penelope from her power-hungry suitors and take back Odysseus’s castle.

While teenagers may groan about reading this classic, I genuinely enjoyed it. I found the actions of the gods enjoyably unpredictable, and the characters dynamic. Watching Telemachus grow up and Odysseus learn to be thoughtful was very rewarding. Throughout the book, I found myself rooting all of the main characters on and was glued to the page during epic battles. The Odyssey is an impactful read if you allow yourself to enjoy it; it will take you on your own Odyssey of thought and growth.