Eighth Grade Bites by Heather Brewer | Teen Ink

Eighth Grade Bites by Heather Brewer

By iceo585 SILVER, Auburn, New York
iceo585 SILVER, Auburn, New York
5 articles 1 photo 1 comment

"People may hate you for being different and not living by society's standards, but deep down, they wish they had the courage to do the same." - Kevin Hart

Eighth Grade Bites is the story of Vladimir Tod, who has been a vampire since he was born. Vlad lives with his Aunt Nelly. Nelly has raised him since his parents died when Vlad was little. Vlad isn’t treated like the average eighth grader either. He constantly gets picked on by the other kids in school and is considered an outcast by society’s terms. Vlad pretty much only has Nelly and his best friend Harry. Harry is not a vampire but he knows about Vlad.

In this book, unlike most vampire stories, Vlad does not sparkle, combust, explode, etc. when the sun hits him. He, along with every other pale teen in the world, only has to wear sunscreen. Also, he doesn’t transform into a bat or any other animal. This is because he is a hybrid, also known as a pravus. His mother was a human and his father a vampire.

Vlad has to quickly understand his future and go along for the ride in this amazing five novel series. I fell in love with this book series and could not stop until I finished. This book has also helped me when I have felt like an outsider in school. I felt like I could really relate to Vlad in many ways. I hope that if you read this book, you will enjoy it just as much as I did.