Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne | Teen Ink

Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

April 1, 2014
By Manan BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
Manan BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

One mistake can affect the whole life of a man. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne proves the quote. In the book, the lives of three individuals change completely due to a mistake they commit. The lives of Hester Prynne, Arthur Dimmesdale, and Roger Chillingworth become intertwined and complicated due to the mistakes they have made. Hester Prynne, Arthur Dimmesdale, and Roger Chillingworth in The Scarlet Letter have committed sins that have had a great impact on their lives.

Hester Prynne’s sin has a profound impact on her, and made her who she really is. Hester Prynne has committed adultery when Reverend Dimmesdale says, “’Speak; and give your child a father!’” (Hawthorne 106). This sin completely changes Hester’s life by making her a better person, and helping others by, “[bestowing] all her superfluous means in charity, on wretches less miserable than herself, and who not unfrequently insulted the hand that fed them’” (Hawthorne 131). The biggest effect of sin on Hester’s life was Pearl and, “she looked fearfully into the child’s expanding nature … that should correspond with guiltiness to which she owed her being” (Hawthorne 138). Throughout the book, the effects of adultery that Hester committed made her realize what is important for her and Pearl.

Arthur Dimmesdale’s sin has major effects on his health, and on his preaching. Minister Dimmesdale’s sin is that he had an illegitimate child, “’Pearl’…’our little Pearl!’” (Hawthorne 323). Also, the sin is also effecting Dimmesdale when he, “…saw no reason for taking one step farther, nor felt any desire to do so, but would have been glad … to fling himself down at the root of the nearest tree, and lie there passive for evermore” (Hawthorne 297-298). The sin also changes Dimmesdale’s ideas and thoughts about preaching when he says, “’ What can a ruined soul like mine effect towards the redemption of other souls?-or a polluted soul, towards their purification?’” (Hawthorne 302). Minister Arthur Dimmesdale’s life changes physically and mentally.

Roger Chillingworth’s sin has a major impact on Arthur Dimmesdale. Roger Chillingworth has committed a sin which affects the health of Arthur Dimmesdale. Roger Chillingworth’s sin is described when he says to Hester, “’Better had [Dimmesdale] died at once! Never did mortal suffer what [Dimmesdale] has suffered. And all, all, in the sigh of his worst enemy [Roger Chillingworth]!’” (Hawthorne 268). Roger Chillingworth’s evil personality is described when Nathaniel Hawthorne says, “In short, old Roger Chillingworth presented … how a man who spends enough time doing the Devil’s work can actually transform … into a Devil” (Hawthorne 267). Arthur Dimmesdale describes what Roger Chillingworth did to him when he says, “He has violated … the holiness of a human heart” (Hawthorne 309). Due to the sin that Doctor Roger Chillingworth commits, he ruins his, Hester’s, and Arthur Dimmesdale’s life.

The sins of Hester Prynne, Arthur Dimmesdale, and Roger Chillingworth not only ruined their lives, but also the lives of others around them. Hester’s sin of adultery not only ruined and humiliated her but also gave a bad reputation to Pearl, her daughter. The sin of an illegitimate child left Arthur Dimmesdale mentally and physically weak, and tortures him for years. Roger Chillingworth’s sin not only hurt him but also severely hurt Arthur Dimmesdale. Committing a sin not only ruins the life of the sinner but also of the others around them.


The author's comments:
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne is a very inspiring book that shows that people commit sins that they try to hide, but have to face the consequences of it throughout their lives.