Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr | Teen Ink

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

By Birdsong PLATINUM, Vancouver, Other
Birdsong PLATINUM, Vancouver, Other

Take the simple formula boy meets girl, boy loves girl, boy loses girl.

Repeat it for a few hundred years, and add in a faerie curse, shifting allegiances, and a Winter Queen bent on killing her son.

This is the life of Keenan, the Summer King whose powers have been bound. To break the curse, he must find his Summer Queen. The catch? She has to risk her life for him, either taking on Winter’s Chill and living alone filled with cold, or becoming a Summer Girl and spending the rest of her life with the Summer Court.

Keenan thinks he’s finally found his Summer Queen. The problem is, she doesn’t love him, and she doesn’t want to become part of the fairy world. Meanwhile, Keenan is torn between his true love and his duty, and the Winter is getting longer and longer.

This book is set apart from other typical romance novels because the descriptions of the faerie world are so vivid. They can be brutal, capricious, or sensitive, but they’re all full of life. The romance isn’t the standard love triangle that has infected most teen books these days; it’s full of sacrifice and yearning. The story is very intricate, hurtling along with plenty of twists and turns. By the time you reach the ending, you’ll want to read it again.