Reckless by Cornelia Funke | Teen Ink

Reckless by Cornelia Funke

By AnubhutiKumar PLATINUM, New York, New York
AnubhutiKumar PLATINUM, New York, New York

"Reckless" is Cornelia Funke's latest masterpiece. She is the renowned author of the Inkheart trilogy, Dragon Rider, and the Thief Lord, among others. She is critically acclaimed and has been named one of Time Magazine's 100 most influential people.

What would you do if your brother was turning into a monster, and an enemy of your people? They just fought a war against this enemy and lost, so they are not exactly feeling friendly towards them. These monsters, called goyls, are hated by everybody and your brother was becoming one and it was all your fault. Goyls are hunted, and hunters are paid money for killing them, so they are highly motivated. Well Jacob Reckless is determined to go to any lengths to save his brother. The thing was Will wasn’t just turning into just any goyl, but a very special one that was wanted by the goyl king, which made their journey ten times more dangerous.

But when he finds out Will (his brother) called his girlfriend and brought her here to the Mirrorworld, he is not happy but was advised to let her come along. He is advised by Fox, his faithful, shape shifter sidekick. She can be a normal girl when she wants, but she much prefers her fur. She is his best friend and worries about him all the time. She often worries when he goes to the real world that he will not come back because he sometimes stays for months.

The Mirrorworld is a parallel universe to our world. It seems like a world stuck in the 1800s, but it is trying frantically to catch up to us. It is a place of fairy tales, myths and magic that ever little child dreams about at bedtime. The Reckless brothers are from our world. Jacob discovered the Mirrorworld as a child when he stepped through the mirror in his father's old study. He has spent most of his time here since. It's safe and there's nothing to lose here, like he lost his father as a kid. When he first came here he became an apprentice to a treasure hunter and the first person he went to for help with his brother’s condition was his former teacher. He took his advice and they were on their way, but Will was quickly running out of time. As a last resort Jacob went to get some magical help from his friend the Red fairy. The fairy who cast the spell was her sister and she told him how to reverse her curse.

As they were leaving, Will was kidnapped by the goyl. On the journey to save Will they faced many obstacles. And when they found him they feared it was too late. Will was full goyl when they next saw him. Will the secret work even after she has turned all goyl? What was the price for the Red Fairy's secret? Why did the goyl want Will so badly to kidnap him? To find out read Cornelia Funke's newest novel!