<i>The Hunger Games </i>by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins MAG

By Missy312 BRONZE, San Francisco, California
Missy312 BRONZE, San Francisco, California

The success is not mine, the failure is not mine, but the two together make me.
-- Charles Dickens

What gives a book series cult status? Is it a captivating universe? (Think Harry Potter.) Is it unforgettable characters? (Think Sherlock Holmes.) Is it the transfer from book to screen? (Think Lord of the Rings.) Answer: all three, plus that winning quality of brilliance.

America's recent cult book series is The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. These days, especially with the movie, it's rare to find a teen who isn't familiar with its basic premise.

For those who actually haven't read it yet, I'll give you a rundown of the first book (aptly titled The Hunger Games): In a post-apocalyptic dystopia with a Big Brother-esque government, fierce 16-year-old Katniss Everdeen is forced to participate in a savage, fight-to-the-death game with 23 other teens. It is like gladiators except the fighters are teens, there are mutated beasts roaming in the wild, and quite often brains do triumph over brawn.

But that barely touches on all the topics addressed in The Hunger Games. The gladiatorial Games are broadcast like a reality show, where spectators cheer for players' successes and gruesome deaths. It's “Survivor,” literally speaking.

The government that runs the Hunger Games is both ­deceptive and vindictive. The Games have been held for 70 years, so what happens when tradition – no matter how ­despicable – is challenged?

The novel's most chilling and intriguing factor is its relation to modern society. Like 1984 and Ender's Game, it ­depicts a futuristic society but reflects the present. It might be written simply, but its themes and descriptions of ugly situations are not kid-friendly. The level of insight and social warnings surprised me; it showed a depth I wasn't ­expecting.

This book is grim, but it warns of what might happen if today's problems are taken to the extreme: a controlling ­government, the growing ­morbidity of entertainment, survival in a cut-throat situation – the list goes on.

Another aspect which has catapulted this series to popularity is its fiery protagonist, Katniss Everdeen. Though we may become frustrated or disappointed by her choices, she is an admirable, strong character. At the start, she volunteers for certain death in order to save her sister. Katniss is undeniably smart; she knows how to act in front of the audience to gain viewer support. Though she can be ruthless, she's certainly not heartless, as shown following another tribute's death. She has qualities we ­respect: loyalty, determination, bravery, and strength. Plus, she's a female who can win her own battles.

I wasn't prepared to like The Hunger Games, but I found that it's one series that isn't overrated. Both captivating and intense, Collins's The Hunger Games will enthrall readers with its fast-paced action, not-so-subtle admonitions for the future, and an unsinkable, ­undaunted heroine.

Alabian GOLD said...
on Sep. 2 2013 at 12:59 pm
Alabian GOLD, Limbo, Other

"If you can fly, don't stop at the sky cause there are footprints on the moon" - Owl City

Good writing! I agree with everything you said. I'm glad this was published in the magazine so that everyone can see it! :D

MissAkari GOLD said...
on Jun. 14 2013 at 10:13 pm
MissAkari GOLD, Sierra Madre, California

"Time goes by so fast, people go in and out of your life. You must never miss the opportunity to tell these people how much they mean to you."

Great review! I thought it was very fitting and thoroughly descriptive. Your writing flows extremely well and the opening is captivating. Well done!

on Jun. 10 2013 at 7:22 pm
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

I really liked this! I always disagree with moms who withhold their kids from watching/reading The Hunger Games. (If it's because of the violence, I understand, but I have a different reason.) I think that they should know what could happen to our society/country/government. And something as chilling as this basic "Survivor" should scare them into trying to change the world! I really am a big fan of the book as well, and your writing is so captivating. Nice job, serkously

on Jun. 1 2013 at 3:34 pm
AnnabelLee423 SILVER, Somewhere, Other

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

Good job!! Your writing is great, but I just have a different opinion... I don't believe this book is a phenomenon... The writing is not so qualitative and I just think it is something temporary, far away from Lord of the Rings or Sherlock Holmes... With all due respect! :)

on Jul. 5 2012 at 4:56 pm
Shahiro PLATINUM, Johnston, Iowa

"Soon we must all choose between what is right and what is easy." - Dumbledore (Goblet of Fire)

nice review!!! i didn't understand like two  of the words though... wierd, i love knowing words that other people dont and then teaching them the words, its fun....