The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod by Heather Brewer | Teen Ink

The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod by Heather Brewer

By TheAwesomeJeanine GOLD, Phoenix, Arizona
TheAwesomeJeanine GOLD, Phoenix, Arizona

"Don't Judge a Book By It's Cover", "A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same."

“Vlad had found himself longing to encounter those of his own kind, to travel to the streets of Elysia-that far away world, but after a while it seemed more of a fairy tale than anything else. Like Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy, only with fangs.” – Heather Brewer
Set in Bathory, Vlad is a half student vampire. After his teacher goes omitted, he inspects until a strange substitute teacher is all he ever thinks of committing the crime of his missing teacher. Throughout the story, Brewer made eighth Grade Bites seem suspenseful and frightening to me that I could not put my book down. I met Vlad, an eighth grade student, at school with his pals and alternate teacher which he considers his opponent.

The author Heather Brewer was born on September 21, 1973. She once lived in Colorado, Mississippi, Nebraska, and Utah. She currently lives in Missouri. On her free time, she dresses up, writes books, and responds to emails when she’s not busy. Not to mention she loves to dance. She probably got the idea of The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod: Eighth Grade Bites by wearing all black and having the love of vampires. She has written a whole series of The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod: Ninth Grade Slays, Tenth Grade Bleeds, Eleventh Grade Burns, Twelfth Grade Kills and her first book, Eighth Grade Bites.
The characters in the story consists of D’Ablo "Where’s the boy? Where’s Vlad?” Vladimir Tod (Vlad), Henry, Aunt Nelly, and Mr. Otis. Vlad’s teacher goes missing, "What do you want from me?” Mr. Craig complains. Also, everyone at school keeps bullying Vlad because he is a half vampire and tries to keep it hush-hush. During the disappearance of Mr. Craig, there is a new substitute teacher named Mr. Otis. Vlad is very suspicious of Mr. Otis because he thinks that he had something to do with his teacher’s disappearance. Whenever Mr. Otis grades Vlad’s paper, he scribbles down “I know your secret”. Then towards the story, Vlad finds his father’s diary and reads the certainty of being vampires and having control. Mr. Otis is then invited to dinner with Vlad and his Aunt Nelly. Vlad feels worse to eat with him. They both confront each other and things seem much different than what Vlad expects.

From the very beginning, I am hooked because the thrilling mood of the context prompts me to read more. The atmosphere that Brewer is trying to create is the unexplained type of atmosphere. Throughout the middle of Eighth Grade Bites, I was waiting for the reveal of the climax. The ending was somewhat gratifying yet exciting. My opinion of the book is that I

enjoyed it; I felt like I was Vlad, the main character. My preferred part of the book was when Mr. Otis revealed himself to Vlad. My least favorite part of the book was when Henry and Vlad were snooping around Vlad’s dad’s diary. I thought that it was honestly a waste of time. If I could change one thing about the book, I would change the end so that it would not be a continued story. Sadly, The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod is a five book series. Anybody who prefers amusing stories would feel affection for this series. I highly advise The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod: Eighth Grade Bites to anybody who likes vampires and drama.