Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughn | Teen Ink

Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughn MAG

Will these lions make it to freedom? Brian K. Vaughn takes you on the ride of your life in the intense action-packed graphic novel Pride of Baghdad. The story is based on a true event when a pride of ­lions escaped from a zoo in Baghdad after it was bombed by the U.S. military. The lions wander into a world that’s unfamiliar to them and overcome many life-threatening obstacles to become free.

I believe Vaughn wrote this story to show that the war in the Middle East not only affects people but animals too. Niko Henrichon, the illustrator, drew horrifying pictures to show what happens to them.

This book is for mature ­readers because the illustrations and language may be too graphic for a younger audience. This book made me change my ideas about the war in the Middle East. I hope that it will do the same for other readers.

Pride of Baghdad is one of the best comic books I have ever read. Sad but inspiring, it shows visually how the lions began their adventure into a new world. This story would make a great film for animal lovers and those who think the war only affects people.