Divergent by Veronica Roth | Teen Ink

Divergent by Veronica Roth

August 14, 2011
By Chitra.I PLATINUM, Dubai, Other
Chitra.I PLATINUM, Dubai, Other
44 articles 2 photos 131 comments

Favorite Quote:
Everything makes sense if you think too much about it.


Divergence.
Difference.
Uprising.

The first book in the series, Divergent is a breath of fresh air after the somewhat repetitive nature of fantasy novels these days. Based on a dystopian society where people are separated into factions not on the base of caste or religion, but on the basis of their predominant qualities, the book offers a thrill and excitement I personally have been craving after the end of Harry Potter.

Beautifully crafted and impeccably written, the most striking aspect of the book is how effortlessly it sets the mood, and how believable the concept of this society has been made.

The lead character, one sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior, takes us through this new world in the most exciting faction of all: The Dauntless faction, which comprised of those who had bravery as their predominant trait. Other factions include Abnegation (selflessness), Amity (peace), Candor (honesty) and Erudite (intelligence). These factions have a tentative peace between them, but there is a storm brewing of such potency that it could bring the whole system crashing around their ears.

The book is not only an adventurous fantasy but also probes the complexity of the human mind and emotions on every step - and in the process, also leads to some self-discovery on the part of the reader, purely through how we relate to different characters at different points of time.

And of course, there is a male lead that would make female hearts heart throb - the mysterious, strong and shadowy Four. Even his name is a mystery.

All in all, definitely a must-read.


The author's comments:
I finished this book hours ago and am still buzzing with the adrenaline. Phew. What an amazing read.