The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks | Teen Ink

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

Love is endless, passion is timeless, fate is strong, and miracles can happen. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks is a story about two lovers, Noah and Allie, torn apart by Allie's parents who claim that Noah isn't right for her. Allie and Noah come from completely different classes. Noah, strong yet gentle, is in a lower class. He lives in a house he built himself in North Carolina on the banks of Brices Creek. Allie, stubborn and artistic, is upper class. Her and her family is very wealthy and she is destined to marry a wealthy man. She is soon torn between her true love and security. This book is full of love, passion, romance, and miracles.

As teenagers, Noah and Allie fall in love one summer in the 1930s, but are soon separated. After over a decade, lying to her fiancé, Allie goes to Noah. They meet again, and Noah is amazed she'd come. After only a day their hidden feelings for each other creep back up on them and their love is rekindled. She is soon faced with a life changing decision. This story has a spectacular meaning to an old man and the dementia infected woman he reads it to every day. This is a heartwarming novel which proves that miracles can happen, where the passion between two lovers is timeless and turns what seems to be pure tragedy into jubilation. That is why I like the ending so much, it is something that is so heartbreaking, but turns into complete splendor.

One event in this novella that has great meaning to what the end of the book turns out to be is when Noah takes Allie out into the river to show her an amazing scenery of thousands of swans and geese. At that moment Allie's feelings for Noah sparkled. She knew right then and there that she still loved him and wanted to be with him. This was also a funny moment in the book because while they were out on the water, it began to pour rain. They started to laugh uncontrollably. It was a striking moment in the story that caught my eye. Another thing that caught my eye was the way the author wrote. He used great defining words, describing the smallest moment and making it huge, painting a picture for the reader to see. Nicholas Sparks did a fantastic job on painting a picture for readers to imagine, and it also makes the story much more interesting and addictive.

This story is being told by the old, aged man. He is telling the story to an old woman that means so much to him. This story has a special meaning to them and will soon be the end to their lives. One of my favorite quotes in this book is, “Poets often describe love as an emotion that we can't control, one that overwhelms logic and common sense. That's what it was like for me. I didn't plan on falling in love with you, and I doubt if you planned on falling in love with me. But once we met, it was clear that neither of us could control what was happening to us. We fell in love, despite our differences, and once we did, something rare and beautiful was created.” (p 102). This quote was said by Noah to Allie. He was explaining how he can't help but remember everything that happened between them that summer. I am in love with this quote because it is so beautiful. It is exactly what love is and what is does to people. I have seen it happen first hand and it is pure magnificence.

A quote that bothers me a little is, “I wander all night in my vision… bending with open eyes over the shut eyes of sleepers, wandering and confused, lost to myself, ill-assorted, contradictory. Pausing, gazing, bending, and stopping.” (p 157). Why would the author put this in the book, at this specific time? I know that the old man is saying this to his children, but why and what does it mean? I think the author is trying to tell the old man's children that, he is nothing with out her with him. He is confused and lost without her by his side. Who is her you may be wondering? Well, you must read this book to find out.

I recommended this book because it is a beautiful love story displaying the real effects love has on people. I love this book and I am positive, that who ever reads this will too.